Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Review: "The hot shot" by Kristen Callihan


Book 4 in series Game on
Main characters: Finnegan "Finn" Mannus and Chester "Chess" Copper

I have some mixed feelings about this story... don't get me wrong, I still enjoeyd it plenty, after all this is written by Kristen Callihan :) but there were just some things that stood in the way of me giving this story five stars... so I decided to just trust my instinct and rate it four stars :) it's still gonna be a positive review and I still highly recommend you to give this book a try... I think my problems were connected to my personal preferences as a reader... but I will get to that in a minute :) for now, you need to know that even though it's book #4 in Game on series, it can be read as a standalone ;) you get all the necessary informations to follow the story between our main couple, although I do feel the need to warn you about some spoilers regarding the third book in this sereis... since it and this one takes place in about the same time frame, you will be spoiled about certain events from that previous book... just saying ;) anyway... ;) now that we have this little explanation out of the way, let us jump straight into our main couple :)

Since I loved Finn that much more... I'm gonna start with Chess :) I don't know why, but I just couldn't connect with her... some of the decisions she made along the way... yeah, on the one hand I sort of could understand where she was coming from, but on the other hand I just wanted to shake her up and make her see the truth... :) although I have to admit that I liked her throughout the majority of the story :) she was one strong and sassy lady, she did not let anyone boss her around :) but like I said, there was just something that kept bothering me about her... I can't really explain it better, so we are just gonna move on... ;) because as much as I adore this series, there is always something that don't click for me with the heroines... heroes on the other hand... *sighs dreamily* they always surprise me in the best possible way... :) like with Finn... when I started this book, I did not expect to fell in love with him as much as I did, but it happened anyway... he snuck up on me with his swoonworthiness... yes, it's a word... that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it ;) and charm... ;) it took a while to see his more vulnerable side but once I got a glimpse... damn... *sighs happily* there is a reason why I love all of them... and Finn is no exception :) and let me tell you about the way they met... ;) Chess is a photographer and she was taking pics for the nude charity calendar of... you guessed it, Finn's football team :) yes, it was as hilarious and hot as you are probably imagining right now :) theirs was definitely a relationship / story that I discovered I adore the most... as in, they started out as friends... yes, friends who are attracted to one another, but just friends nonetheless :) and with time it grew into something more... :) I don't want to say too much about it, because it's really better going into their book without the knowledge about every little thing that happens along the way... it will be much better if those little precious moments will surprise you :) I adored their journey... well, the most of it anyway... I was not the biggest fan of how they handled that big obstacle closer to the end of the book, but that may be just me and my personal preferences as a reader... and no, I cannot tell you anything more, because that would definitely be too spoilerific :)

When it comes to secondary characters, we got appearances of the hero from the previous story :) mainly because he's Finn's teammate :) as well as a little glimpse or two about certain previous characters as well ;) but like I said before, this story can totally stand on its own, so feel free to start with this one, if it will interest you the most :) besides the people we already may know, I need to name two others :) James and Jake :) James is Chess's best friend and co-worker :) and I loved him... which is why I'm very excited that he got his very own little plot in this book... :) and Jake is on the other hand Finn's best friend and teammate... and let me tell you... I love this guy :) I'm totally crossing my fingers so he will get his own story at some point in this series... maybe even the next one ;) although there is much more potential for other books about people we met here... and in previous books... GAH!!! so many possible awesome stories :) we're just gonna have to wait and see what Kristen will give us next :)

Like I mentioned before, even though I had my troubles with this book, I really enjoyed it :) I am a huge fan of Kristen Callihan and her writing style :) especially when it is done in 2 POVs, like here ;) as in we get chapters from two different perspectives :) you know... the hero and the heroine of the story :) I love to be able to glimpse into their heads, to see their thought process and how they feel... :) especially when it is done as amazing as here :) see, even when Chess annoyed me, the fact that I was able to see into her head helped me understand her better :) and don't even get me started on Finn... *sighs happily* he surprised me in the best possible way... there is much more to him than his cocky and carefree personality that he shows to the world... oh just you wait and see... :) so if you are looking for a hot and hilarious sports themed romance, definitely give this book, and this series in general, a try ;) you will not regret it :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment