Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Review: "Sydney" by Kat Brewer


Author: Kat Brewer
Title: "Sydney"
Book 7 in series The chronicles of Erla
Main character: Sydney

I got a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review :) this is book #7 and a sort of conclusion to the bigger story arch that was going during the last few books... don't get me wrong, each installment in this series revolves around a different main character, but I highly recommend you to read them in order... mainly, because people from previous stories keep showing up ;) and also because it allows you to understand all sorts of connections and interactions between them that much better :) since it's a book in an on-going series... and let me explain that a little bit more... yes, it is a conclusion to a bigger story arch, but there will be a few more shorter novels taking place in the exact same world, involving certain secondary characters who really deserve a happy ending... that is all I'm gonna say right now, because in case you are new to the series, I don't want to spoil you anything... :) it's just one of the reasons why my review will be on the shorter side of stuff ;) it's really hard to write anything about it... not because it was bad... on the contrary, I really liked it :) more than I expected if were being totally honest... ;) but the majority of the things I want to say are too spoilerific, so I will have to do my best to write what I can, to convince you to give it a try... :) so how about I start with describing the overall plot of the book and the world it takes place in... :)

This is a fantasy-ish series... I used to call it my favourite fantasy guilty pleasure read, but I recently read, that if a book gives you pleasure, you shouldn't feel guilty about it ;) and even though I absolutely agree with this statement, I still feel like this description fits this series perfectly :) like I mentioned before, each installment concentrates on a different woman who was transported through a transdimensional rift into this another world, Jiva... I know what some of you may think right now, so don't roll your eyes at me... I was apprehensive at first too... ;) but after actually reading those stories... I loved them :) Jiva is filled with various... let's call them countries ;) we have for example Erla and Tayliss, which are queendoms, where women are more dominant and stronger sex, but we also have kingdoms like Destia, with men who are warriors and rulers :) both of them have their flaws and advantages, so please reserve your judgement, until you actually read one of the stories :) I know I'm being really vague, but there's nothing more I can share about this world, without spoiling you some pretty big and / or surprising turns of events that happened along the way ;) so let me jump into telling you a bit more about our main character in this installment and my overall thoughts and feelings about her story :)

Sydney was a combat nurse in our world... she is still working through her PTSD after that experience... I was warned, that she and her story is definitely different from the previous ones in this series, and it's absolutely true... she is definitely much more emotionally detached than other main characters and her journey is unique... gah!!! it's really hard, because I can't tell you so many things about her... :) ok, focus woman on finding something you actualy can share :) I was not her biggest fan at the beginning, but the more I read about her, the more she grew on me... I started to care more and more about her... I was very surprised, cause I did not expect to like her as much as I did :) since it's the conclusion to a much bigger story arch, some things are very nicely wrapped up... although if I didn't know that certain characters will get their own stories, I would be disappointed... :) the writing style in engaging and entertaining as always, and this story, like all others in this series, shows a journey of a woman... she is the main character, and her adventures, the way she embraces new world, changes inside her, are at the forefront of this book as well :) and I absolutely love that about this series ;) these women are strong and smart, capable of fighting for what they believe in any way they can, not always with swords... ;) I hope I convinced you to give this book, and this series in general, if you haven't already, a try ;) they are the best kind of surprises... ;) happy reading :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment