Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Review: "Gears of fate" by Wilbert Stanton


Book 1 in series Forgotten gods
Main character: Zak Walker

Synopsis

Centuries have passed since the Fey conquered Earth, forcing mankind and gods alike to flee to the sky city Olympus. Forgotten gods walk amongst man, lost and powerless. Little do they suspect a second Fey war looms, and an unlikely duo will set in motion the gears of fate.

Zak Walker is a fringe rat living in the slums who would do anything to protect his sister, Alice. His neglectful father threatens to consign him to a life away from home on an airship, but he yearns for his life to mean something more than drudgery.

Princess Seneca Rose is the last surviving member of the Seelie royals. They tried to establish peace with mankind, but fell to the forces of Queen Mob and the Unseelie Court. Fleeing for her life, Seneca arrives on Olympus in hopes of uniting the forgotten gods against the oncoming Fey.

Zak couldn’t care less about the fate of Olympus, until faeries kidnap Alice. He doesn’t believe Seneca’s stories of faeries or gods, but soon has no choice but to accept their lives are intertwined. All his life, he’s dreamed of something more. If he cannot face the dangers that await down on Earth, the gods, mankind, and his sister Alice are all doomed.

I got an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review :) I have to say that the synopsis was super interesting... it really was the first thing that got my attention... :) and it actually got my expectations kind of high... and I have to say that I am not disappointed at all :) it was a super exciting story, although it did felt at some points all over the place, that's why I gave it 4,5 stars instead of full 5 :) but I see sooooo much potential for future stories :) don't worry, everything important is sorted out in this book, and it does not end with a cliffhanger or anything, so feel free to dive in :) ok, how about I tell you a bit more about the world and the plot of this book :)

We are thrown straight into a complicated world but slowly chapter after chapter everything is explained, which I definitely appreciated... there is no huge info dumping in the first two chapters, that you have to keep going back while reading a book to find an explanation... although if we're being honest, not everything is explained fully... :) but I did not mind at all... :) it really was part of the charm of this story :) ok, back to the world :) like it's mentioned in the synopsis, the Fae from Unseelie Court conquered the earth years ago, and banished men and gods alike from it... so now they all live, at least what's left of them, in Olympus... as in a freaking flying city of Olympus!!! I'm sorry, but how cool is that?!? :) years has passed and men has forgotten all about gods, who are walking in disguises among them... :) Zak is not an exception from that rule... he's a young man, boy really, who tries to do his best to protect and take care of his sister... all that changes when a mysterious girl falls from the sky to land at his feet :) that girl is none other than Seneca, a lost princess of the Seelie Court, trying her best to fix a lot of bad things... I don't want to get into too many details, because trust me... it's much better to just go with the flow with this book :) when his beloved sister is kidnapped Zak has no choice but to join forces with Seneca and help her, so she can help him in return :) since this is pretty much everything I can tell you about the actual plot of the book without spoilers... and trust me on that, this story is filled with surprising twists and turns, how about I will focus on my overall thoughts and feelings about this little gem :)

It was my first book by Wilbert Stanton, and I immediately fell in love with his writing style... it was hilarious, engaging from the very first chapter and super entertaining :) I inhaled this story in record time, and I did not expect that, mainly because the main character is a sixteen year old boy, so I wasn't sure how much I could connect with him... :) if you have the same apprehensions, you can forget all about them... :) especially since pretty much the whole book was written from his perspective, so that definitely helped with understanding him better :) it was an absolute pleasure reading about Zak's adventures... and all other characters :) because my favourite one was Seneca :) she was hilarious, fearless and unpredictible... I loved her :) there was a bunch of others as well, but we met them a bit further into the book, so I don't want to tell you all about them... instead I will let you discover those lovely surprises :) I have to say that I see sooooo much potential in this world and these characters... so many stories that can be told... *sighs dreamily* I already can't wait to read them all :) this was a super quick read, fast paced and filled with adventures, unexpected twists and surprises... I could not put it down :) so if you are looking for a book that will pull you in from the very first chapter... trust me, I was hooked after the prologue alone ;) then definitely give this lovely gem a try :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment