Friday, June 23, 2017

Review: "Besting Brady" by J. L. Leslie and Nicole Dykes


Book 2 in series Hearts of Hollis
Main characters: Brady Thompson and Lillian "Lilly" Benson

Synopsis

Brady…
I have lived in Hollis my entire life. All of my memories are here. The good and the bad. I wouldn’t change anything about this town. My life is carefree and I live it without regrets. Sure, I’ve made mistakes…some of them I see every day…but I wouldn’t change those either. I’m just not meant to settle down. No woman will ever get the best of me. They’re just lucky to get part of me.

Lilly…
I don’t get the attraction about Hollis. Not at all…but it did bring Madden Steele here and his brothers followed suit. I at least have to give it a try…even if it’s temporary. The Steele brothers wouldn’t be here if it didn’t hold some attraction…and I can admit there’s definitely one good thing this town has going for it. For all I know, this town could change my life.

** Besting Brady is book two in the Hearts of Hollis series co-written by Nicole Dykes and J.L. Leslie. It is written as a stand-alone novel. It is not necessary to read book one in this series. It contains adult content, language, and sexual situations. It is intended for mature readers only.**

I got an ARC of this book from one of the authors in exchange for an honest review ;) this is a sequel in Hearts of Hollis series, but works as a standalone as well, so you don't necessarily have to read the first installment... although I actually highly recommend you to do it... :) mainly because that way you'll have more background informations about the majority of the characters from this book, because they appeared in the previous one as well... it will also help you understand all the connections between them that much better... but like I said, you get all the important explanations in this book, so the choice is yours :) after having some mixed feelings about the first book, but ultimately liking it, I was curious to get back to this series to see what these lovely duo of authors prepared for us this time... :) so let me tell you about my thoughts... ;)

I was actually surprised by how much I liked the main couple... we met Brady before and I have to honestly say that I had some very mixed feelings about him then... he's a man with a certain past, but it was that much better to see him change and grow in this story... Lilly on the other hand was brand new in this series... she recently found out some pretty big and shocking thing for her... it's explained very early in the book, but I still refuse to spoil it for you guys :) she comes to Hollis to think things through and get some perspective away from her "normal" life :) I liked her as well :) theirs was a... somewhat unusual relationship... since Lilly knew from the beginning that her days in Hollis are numbered, she wasn't looking for a man or anything serious... even though there is some hot attraction between her and Brady from the beginning... ;) and I was surprised by how it didn't bothered me... :) let me explain, because this is not a story for everyone... if you are a person who believes that once our main couple met and started hanging out in the same time and space ;) all the stuff that one of them might be doing with other people is sort of cheating.... you might want to stay away from this one :) I don't want to get into too many details, just a little warning, because I don't want you to be disappointed... mind you, I had no troubles with this story... I actually think that the whole thing between them felt very real... they both had stuff to deal in their own lives, and the bond that kept growing between them was very unexpected... yes, they didn't handle certain situations in the best possible way, but we all make mistakes... :)

All in all I really enjoyed this book :) a solid 4 stars :) I definitely liked it more then the first one... ;) the story is told from two POVs, which means we have chapters from Lilly's perspective and Brady's as well... and once again, these two authors work together very well, because you can't tell it was written by two separate people... :) it was a super fast read for me, not only because it's not very long... ;) but because I was very curious how the story will go :) I liked that we got appearances from people we met in the previous story, although once again, you don't have to read it to enjoy and understand this one :) but I personally loved those group scenes... when we see them together and how they are all connected... not to mention that by the end of this story we know who will be the main couple in the next one... it's a pretty solid guess... ;) and I am definitely intrigued to see how they will handle this particular story :) I have a feeling this might be a series that keeps getting better with each book and I hope this upward trend will continue on... :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment