Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Review: "The summoned mage" by Melissa McShane


Book 1 in series Convergence
Main character: Sesskia

Synopsis

Sesskia, talented thief and secret mage, has spent the last ten years traveling the world, searching for ancient books that will teach her magic forbidden in her country. When she is magically transported to another world where magic is not only permitted, but celebrated, she wonders if she ever wants to return. With new friends and a chance at a new life, Sesskia feels as if she’s finally come home.

But catastrophe is coming. Her new home Castavir and the world of her birth are coming inexorably together, heralding near-total destruction for both.

The mad God-Empress of Castavir intends to take advantage of the crisis by conquering both worlds—whatever is left of them. Sesskia must work with the Castaviran mages to combine their radically different magics to prevent the convergence from happening and save both her worlds.

I got an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review :) the first thing you need to know about this book is that it's the first story in a trilogy... and I do mean a trilogy in a sense that we follow the same character and all three books tell one big story... because you need to be prepared for that cliffhanger at the end of this installment ;) I knew it was coming, but it still surprised me... mainly because it happened about 86 % into the story :) I was in the middle of my commute to work and then BAM! the story ended and I almost fell off my chair :) #TrueStory :) but then we got a little bonus, more about it later, and I was very happy :) fortunately for all of you guys, all three books are already available, so you can totally binge-read them if you want :) now how about I will finally tell you a bit more about this fantasy trilogy and our main character ;)

The whole story is told from Sesskia's point of view :) she is a thief, who's trying her best to learn magic... magic that is forbidden and feared in her world, but which awakened in her... sounds cool, right? :) I think so too :) what is even more interesting, is that the whole book is written as Sesskia's journal... so we discover things and see certain events from her perspective only... :) to be honest, it does take a moment to get used to, and the same thing can be said about the new world she finds herself in, because... yeah... at the very beginning of the book she is transported into this whole different world... she doesn't know anything about it, she doesn't even speak the language, and we are as confused as her :) but slowly, once we learn more, it gets better :) it definitely helps with the overall understanding what is happening, because we are not given all the informations in the span of a chapter or two :) so definitely don't be discouraged by the fact that you don't understand everything at the beginning, because all of that will be explained in time :) I don't really want to tell you more about what's happening after Sesskia arrives in this new world, because I truly believe it's better for your reading experience to figure stuff out as you read :) trust me, those surprises along the way will be much better if you're not prepared for them :)

Originally I gave this book 4 stars... or to be more precise, I gave the story 4 stars, but then I read the bonus scenes... *sighs dreamily* I mentioned before that the whole book is written from Sesskia's perspective because we are reading her journal, but those bonus scenes are told from someone else's point of view... I'm not gonna say who, but it was a lovely surprise :) they are also the reason why I bumped my rating to 4,5 stars :) I really liked Sesskia as a main character :) she started off really good, and then got even better when she grew as a character :) there is also a whole bunch of very interesting secondary characters, but again, because I don't want to actually spoil you who is important, I won't share any names... ;) and I mean the good ones, as in Sesskia's new friends, as well as the villains of te story... although it's not as easy to categorize them like that... trust me, the whole story is more complicated than that... :) the more I read this book, the more I was pulled into all the action... and now I am eagerly looking forward into continuing this story with the sequel :) so if you are looking for an original fantasy story with surprising turns of events, interesting characters that actually act like adults... well, throughout the most of the story anyway ;) and fantastic writing style, definitely give this trilogy a try :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment