Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Review: "Condemned" by Hayley Oakes


Author: Hayley Oakes
Title: "Condemned"
Book 1 in series Richmore
Main characters: William "Will" Devereux and Jessa Jenson

Synopsis

For eight years, I’ve lived with the scars left by him.

William Devereux consumed me until I didn’t know where I ended and he began ... I tried to forget but I was forever changed.

And now he’s back. 

Gone is the aggressive hothead who hurt me and set my body on fire in equal measure, replaced with a responsible, doting, single father. 

I’m trying my best to remain unaffected.

He’s trying his best to make amends.

Sometimes the one thing you shouldn’t want, is the one thing you can’t breathe without. 

I got an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review :) this book... I was not prepared for this book people... :) like, not at all... even after the synopsis I sort of expected something else... or to be more precise, I did not expect to be sooo moved by it... yes, it was darker and more emotional than what I was prepared for, but ultimately I have to say that the book was amazing... which makes my job to write a review that much harder... mainly because I truly believe that the less you know about this book before reading it, the better... :) so I will tell you as much as I can without spoilers, and then share my thoughts and feelings about this story and do my best to convince you to give it a try... :)

So about our main couple, Will and Jessa... *sighs* theirs is such a complicated history... and I am sitting here debating, how much I actually can tell you about all of that... so forgive me for being vague, it really is best for you guys... :) they've known each other for the longest time... especially since they were next door neighbours when they were kids... but something changed over time and... well... they drifted apart... there is actually of course a much bigger story there... especially since all that stuff when they were teenagers culminated in an event that drove them apart for years... ugh... you have no idea how hard it is for me to tell you guys stuff, without actually spoiling you anything... :) so now it's eight years later, and they meet unexpectedly when Jessa is visiting her parents, and Will is temporarily back home... and things get only more complicated from there... that's pretty much all details I can tell you about them... BUT I will add that throughout the whole story we have chapters from both of their perspectives... and not only that, but we also get *then* and *now* chapters... and they allow us to see what exactly happened before between them... and that writing style... oh how it got to me... it only took the prologue to hook me... besides our main couple, who take center stage of the story, we have a bunch of amazing secondary characters... I'm not gonna name all of them, but I will say that each of them in unique and interesting and I would love to read stories about some of them... they were so vivid and felt so alive... that I kept forgetting I'm reading about fictonal characters...

I know I haven't told you much about this book, but... well, to be honest, it's hard for me to really rate it, cause... this story definitely hit very close to home for me... even though I was so mad at Jessa for certain decisions she was making, on the other hand, I couldn't really judge her for all of that... because I know what it feels like to wonder *what if* and thinking what would happen if I would just give it another shot... I know how it feels to be tempted to do something that might not be best for you... to hide it before people who are close to you, because you think that they will jugde, cause they just don't understand... but at the same time, deep down... to know they will jugde and try to talk you out of it, because it's bad for you... and you know they are right... but there are lessons we need to learn for ourselves, even though some of them take time and are very painful... and even though nothing as traumatic and intense happened to me... I understood her all too well...

Ok, I will try to get a grip on myself, and say something to convince you to pick this book up... because although that may not be clear from what you read so far, I actually highly recommend you guys this book :) it was written phenomenally, hitting me in the feels many times... the only thing you nedd to know going in, is that it will be dark and emotional, and hard to read at times... but it's the best thing about it... it tackles on some dark themes... unhealthy and toxic relationships between teenagers who don't know any better... getting to terms with things you learn about yourself, and working to be better people... trying to make things right with people who you wronged earlier... it may be hard to read, but this story is definitely worth your time... because that ending... oh, that ending was perfect :) I really hope you will give this story a try, and form your own opinion about it... cause I sure hope I'm not the only one it had such influence on... ;)



Find Hayley online:

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment