Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Release blitz + Review: "Excess baggage" by Laura Barnard


Author: Laura Barnard
Standalone
Main characters: Jack Lawson and Erica Bennett

Synopsis

Stuck in a dead-end relationship, Erica Bennett finds herself daydreaming of her first holiday romance. She was fifteen, it was exciting, new and full of possibilities…and Jack Lawson was hot as hell. That kind of thing leaves a mark.

So when her friends suggest a girls holiday to Luna Island, it’s exactly what she needs to take her mind off things. What she doesn’t expect is to spot Jack – a much older, hotter version of him – across the hotel lobby.

Their attraction is still there and it isn’t long before sparks fly, but fifteen years is a long time. They aren’t the same people they were back then and besides, it’s only a week, right?

Is it a second chance at something real or will their excess baggage ruin their shot at love after they leave Luna Island?

I got an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review :) and boy do I have some very mixed feelings about this one... *sighs* I was going back and forth after finishing this story about how I should rate it and ultimately I landed on 3 stars... because there were things I absolutely loved about it, but also quite a few that I found problematic... as always, I will try my best to explain all my thoughts and feelings to you guys :) hopefully it will help you make your own decision about reading this book, because I am definitely not saying you shouldn't give it a try... I'm sure a lot of you will absolutely love it... but I am getting a bit ahead of myself :) first let me tell you a bit about our main couple...

Since it's a book that I have very mixed feelings about, I will keep my review on a bit of a shorter side, because I don't like to dwell on negative things... especially since usually those thigns are connected to my very own personal preferences as a reader, and just because I didn't enjoy certain aspects of this book, it doesn't mean you won't :) so about our main couple... yeah... I didn't like them very much... #SorryNotSorry, it's just my opinion... I mean, Jack was sort of ok, I guess... but it was definitely Erica that got on my nerve... *sighs* I just couldn't connect with her... like at all... and as someone who is exactly her age at this moment, I have to say... she really frustrated me... she was childish and annoying and I just couldn't understand her and her actions... don't get me wrong, I KNOW how it feels to want to play the what-if game, but it's never a good idea... and honestly, at this point... we know better... we might pretend we don't, explaining certain behaviour so the decisions we make will seem more acceptable, but deep inside we know we're making mistakes... and Erica was making mistake after mistake... at least in my opinion... their relationship was... if you actually can call it like that... it was a bit too much too fast for me... I prefer when the road to the actual relationship is a bit longer... :) but hey, like I mentioned before, it's my personal preferences talking :)

Overall I think that because I had such troubles with the heroine, it really influenced my reading experience... she was really obnoxious... I mean, the whole thing how she resolved the situation with her boyfriend was... ugh... BUT at the same time, I'm sure that some of you won't feel that way... you will find her flawed and relatable, and that's awesome for you :) my favourite character was actually Evelyn... she was one of Erica's friend... the one being called too serious and a buzzkill more than once, but... I so disagree with those opinions :) I mean, every time she challenged Erica or said some things I was like *YES!!! please, someone... anyone... listen to the ONLY voice of reason in your group* :) since it's not a very long story, everything felt a bit rushed... I would love to read more and get to know more about these characters... maybe seeing them together more as teenagers, or acting more like adults now would help me connect to them better :) BUT do not get me wrong, I feel like the writing style was funny and entertaining, and even though this was my very first book by this author, and it turned out it was not my cup of tea, I am definitely planning on reading something else from her :) fingers crossed that another story will be closer to my heart ;)


Get the book on Amazon UK

Find Laura online:

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment