Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Review: "Madelyn" by Kat Brewer


Author: Kat Brewer
Title: "Madelyn"
Book 5 in series The chronicles of Erla
Main character: Madelyn

I got a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review :) I have to say that this series just keeps getting better and better with each installment I read :) I have no shame in admitting that it's one of my favourite guilty pleasure fantasy reads :) #NoJoke ;) even though technically each books follows a different main character, a lot of people we met previously appear, so I highly recommend you guys to read them in order :) especially since the further we get into this series, the more connected those stories are, soooo... ;) just an advice ;) as always with a book from the middle of an on-going series, it's very hard for me to write a spoiler free review... that's why they always tend to be a bit shorter than usual... not because I don't have a lot of things to say about it, but because the majority of the things are too spoilerific for me to share with you, without giving away some major plot points and twists... :) but I will do my best to tell you as much as I can and convince you to give those amazing books a try :)

Ok, so let me start by saying a little bit more about the premise of the whole series and that world in general... :) like I said, each book concentrates on another heroine... who is transported from our world into the world of Jiva through a transdimensional rift... and I know how that may sound to some of you, but stay with me ;) Jiva is filled with kingdoms and queendoms... kingdoms are... let's call them countries, for the lack of a better word ;) where men are the more dominant sex... they are warriors and fighters and generally in charge of stuff :) queendoms are the opposite, the women are strong and dominant and rule everything :) I do feel the need to warn you about one more thing... in those queendoms, at least the ones we met as readers so far, men are... well, there's no better way than to just say it straight... they are slaves... but please, reserve your judgmenet for when you actually read one of those books... it's not as horrible as it may sound... there is a whole explanation of why they are so submissive and gentle in Erla, which is one of the queendoms... and trust me, I was apprehensive at the beginning as well... as are all the women who travel through that rift and learn about that situation... it's really one of those things where it's very hard to accurately explain everything, so again, please just give it a try and then if you hate it, at least you formed your own opinion :) now that we have some basics established, let me tell you more about why I loved this story as much as I did :)

What I loved about this particular installment, that I can share with you of course ;) is how different from the other heroines Madelyn was :) she's definitely not a warrior, she doesn't really have any martial class in her past or anything like that, and I adored that change :) it was soooo entertaining to read how this type of a person will adapt to a world full of warriors and find her place there :) and she definitely left her mark... let's just say that her love of fashion definitely started some trends... ;) not to mention that this particular story has a certain different plot than others... I can't tell you what kind exactly, I can't even hint at it, because it involves some serious spoilers, but it made this book absolutely fascinating to read :) Madelyn is not a warrior, or at least not in the most basic sense of the word, but I loved how strong she was... what a good diplomat she became... *sighs happily* it was a delight to read... well, certain warlord definitely did not make the matters worse... ;) and of course we got all sorts of appearances of previous main characters and a whole bunch of regular secondary characters from the series... just one more reason to read those books in order :) I swear, that the lovely Kat just keeps getting better and better with her writing style :) because the further we go into the series, the more and more I am loving the new characters she creates and introduces to us, the development of the ones we already met... the changes in the world... *sighs happily* I seriously hope I convinced you guys to give this series a try, because it's really amazing and it pains me that not as many people heard about it as they should ;)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment