Friday, April 28, 2017

Review: "Box of hearts" by Nikki Ashton


Author: Nikki Ashton
Book 1 in series The Connor's
Main characters: Jesse Connor and Armalita "Millie" Braithwaite

Synopsis

Millie is unlucky in love and when her long term relationship ends like a soap opera story line, she takes drastic action.  She applies for an overseas job as home school teacher on an American family Ranch and finds herself instantly attracted to Jesse-her boss.  As for Jesse, well he doesn’t need her getting in his business and constantly reminding him that he neglects his daughter.

In Jesse Connor’s eyes his life would be simple if it consisted of three things.  His ranch, his cattle and his horses.  But it doesn’t- for one, there’s his young daughter, Adeline, who is fighting for his love and attention because he’s the only parent she has.  Then there is Millie Braithwaite-that damn beautiful English woman.

Millie & Jesse are two broken souls who are both fighting against the inevitable, because they both know that this time their hearts could be shattered beyond repair.

Box of Hearts is the first book in the Connor Ranch series and tells the story of second chance love and the joy and sorrow it can bring.

I got an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review :) this was my second story by this lovely author and I have to say that her writing style is as hilarious as I remembered it from that first book ;) this one was also very entertaining and fast-paced :) was it perfect? not really, but I had sooo much fun reading it anyway :) it's the beginning of a series, but worry not, the whole situation with our main couple is resolved :) so how about I will tell you all about the things I loved about this story, and a few of them that bothered me a little ;) don't get me wrong, ultimately it's a 4 stars read for me and I can honestly recommend you to give it a try ;)

I need to start by telling you a bit more about our main couple :) and by that I mean I have to start with Millie :) oh how I loved her ;) she was so sassy and hilarious :) which is truly astounding especially after you take into consideration that her last relationship ended in a truly spectacular way... and I don't mean that in a good way... don't worry, it's nothing tragic :) so after deciding that she needed a change, she became a home school teacher to a young girl on another continent :) more about that little angel in a second ;) and of course she develops a huge crush on that girl's dad... what I loved about it, is that she openly admits to herself how unlogical and crazy is her instant attraction to him, but there's nothing she can do about it :) now about Jesse... yeah... I had some issues with him... throughout a big part of the book his behaviour was definitely leaning towards... how to put it mildly without cursing... ;) he was a jerk... and yes, once you know the whole story about why he is a single dad now, it helps you to understand him better, but I am not really a fan of this type of personality... in his defense there were certainly some very swoonworthy moments as well... ;)

Their relationship is actually one of the things I struggled with... there is a lot of push-and-pull between them... attraction and chemistry is off the charts, but at the same time there is also this whole we-cannot-be-doing-this attitude... and when it comes to my personal preferences as a reader, I don't like those types of interactions... don't get me wrong, I'm sure that a lot of you guys will have no problems with it... some people love the angst and the drama... I'm just not one of them :) but there were some really wonderful moments between them that I loved, so it wasn't only the struggles... ;) especially since it actually takes some time for them to get together... the book takes place over the span of a few months to be exact :) and I definitely loved watching how Millie starts to feel more comfortable and grows closer to everyone :)

When it comes to secondary characters, I need to name two of them :) first one is of course Addy, Jesse's daughter :) she's about four years old and just the cutest little thing :) she's very smart and I adored her... especially when you get to the part when the title of this book makes sense... *sighs dreamily* I won't say what it is, but it's so adorable I couldn't stop smiling once I read about it :) another one is Garratt, Jesse's younger brother... I am totally hoping he will get to be the hero of the sequel in this series... and if not the sequel then definitely somewhere along the way :) he was absolutely fantastic and I need to read about his happy ending :) there were of course quite a few others but these two absolutely stole my heart :)

All in all it was a really good book :) it was such a quick read for me, mainly because the writing style was hilarious and entertaining... ;) so even if certain characters *coughs* Jesse *coughs* did some things that made me want to smack them over the head... ;) I still couldn't put it down :) especially since it was actually written in 2 POVs, which means we got chapters from Millie's perspective, as well as Jesse's... :) and I have to say that being able to get a glimpse into his thoughts definitely helped me understand him... to the point I didn't hate him and was able to not throw my book away from frustration... ;) fortunately the ending was worth it... and that epilogue... *sighs happily* it's just what I like the most :) so even though I don't think it was perfect, I definitely had a lot of fun reading it and can honestly recommend this book to you guys... :)


Find Nikki online:

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment