Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Review: "Altercation" by Mignon Mykel


Author: Mignon Mykel
Book 2 in series Prescott family
Main characters: Porter Prescott and Asher Spence

I got an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review ;) this book… *sighs* this book gave me all the feels… I can honestly say that out of all the stories I read from her, this one is my favourite… without a doubt ;) and I say that without even knowing how it will end… ;) let me explain ;) this particular book is the first part of a duology ;) and said duology is actually part of a bigger series about members of one family… but those two books revolve around the same couple… and worry not, even if you haven’t read anything else written by her, you can definitely enjoy this story… although I would highly recommend you to read at least two novellas, each of them shining light on the pasts of our main couple: „Troublemaker” is about Porter and „Breakaway” is about Asher… you don’t have to read them, but I truly believe it will give you a much better insight into both of them from the very start… ok, now that this whole explanation is out of the way, let me tell you a bit more about the book itself… ;)

I am still trying my best to gather all my thoughts about this story… so how about I will tell you a bit more about our main couple first, maybe that will help ;) Porter is the youngest… I want to say sibling, because I’m sure he’s definitely the youngest brother, but I don’t think there’s anyone younger than him when it comes to his sisters as well ;) anyway… ;) he’s part of this huge family, and even though everything wasn’t perfect between them all the time, you can’t deny that they love and support each other when it really matters ;) Porter is definitely stubborn, confident, and he has been fighting for his independence from his early years, acting rebelious and such ;) but he is a good guy at heart… and he actually acts in a very mature way, especially if you take into consideration the fact, that at the beginning of this novel he’s only 19 ;) he’s a hockey player, which is no surprise, considering that basically his whole family is connected to that sport in one way or another ;) he meets Asher, when he’s about to move away to join a hockey team ;) now when it comes to Asher… *sighs heavily* oh how my heart broke for that girl… because I read her novella before, I knew exactly what kind of demons haunted her… but if you won’t, you will slowly figure out what happened to her… she’s 17 when we meet her, almost 18… and if you’re wondering why she’s on her own, all I can say without spoilers is that she was a foster kid and now she’s emancipated… she met Porter when someone from his family crashed their car into hers… ;) don’t worry, it’s nothing serious or life-threatening ;) but his whole family immediately gathered her under their wings when they learn that she’s on her own without an actual plan or anything… she’s very closed off and distant, not really knowing what to do with a hurricane that is the Prescott clan ;) we get to know her more along with Porter… I don’t really want to say anything else about either one of them, mainly because…

The book takes place over the span of about five years… yes, that’s right, you read that corectly… five years… and that’s not even the end of their story… ;) but it’s only logical, since theirs is definitely a slow burn romance… as in very slow… ;) there is definitely that little spark of interest when they initially meet, but it takes a few weeks for both of them to admit… although at the beginning only to themselves internally ;) that they keep thinking about each other… and it takes a few more months, and one very sneakily organized visit ;) for them to admit that to each other ;) I absolutely loved how patient he was with her… because once he realized that there is something special about her, and that he is so drawn to her, he prepared a plan… a long term plan ;) and to be honest I don’t really want to get into too many details about anything else… ;) what I can say, is that it was absolutely amazing to see how he and his patience helped her get out of her shell… how she opened up to him more and more with time… and since we have the opportunity to see them over the course of five years, we can truly see those changes… it was a beautifully written, honest relationship with its ups and downs… all sorts of hilarious, sexy moments, as well with truly heartbreaking and emotional ones as well… I have only praises to say about how Mignon portrayed them here… this is deifnitely one of those situations where the less you know about what’s gonna happen, the better your experience will be… because I did not know what to expect out of this story, and it absolutely blew my mind… ;)

The main couple is definitely not the only bright part of this book ;) there were lots of secondary characters that absolutely stole my heart… the biggest group of them all of course the whole Prescott family… I am NOT gonna name all of them, because we would be here all day, but I will say that I absolutely hope that at least some of them will have their own stories at some point in the future, because certain things are teased and mentioned here, and I would love to know more… ;) all the different interactions between them were definitely one of the best parts of this story ;) but I need to mention one more person, Nico ;) he’s Porter’s teammate and roommate throughout the bigger part of the story and I absolutely loved him ;) I definitely wouldn’t mind reading about his happily ever after ;) again, I don’t really want to say to you guys about any particular details and / or situations regarding those people, because that way I would definitely spoil you some surprises along the way ;)

Long story short… although I’m not sure I can say that looking at my review… ;) but either way, I absolutely loved this book… it has 2 POVs, which means we get parts from Porter as well as Asher perspectives throughout it, and that’s definitely my favourite writing style ;) not only that, but Mignon did such phenomenal job with their story… *sighs happily* I laughed, aaawww-ed and cried when I read it… or to be more precise, I sobbed… so I’m really glad that I read that particular part of it at home… this story gave me all the feels… and that ending… damn… just… damn… I can’t tell you anything about it, not even a hint, but let me just say, I am very glad that the conclusion to their story comes out next week… trust me, even that week will be too long to wait to see how all of this will end… I highly recommend you guys this book… if you know Mignon’s writing style, you can at least guess what to expect of it… compelling characters who are flawed in the most honest and human way and a story that will keep you glued to the pages… to all of you who are new to her… you guys, this is the best way to start your journey with this amazing author… ;) go one-click this gem right now :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment