Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Review: "Servant of the crown" by Melissa Mcshane


Book 1 in series The crown of Tremontane
Main characters: Anthony North and Alison Quinn

I got a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest reviw :) I have so many thoughts running inside my head right now... it took me a while to figure out how exactly I want to rate this story, and ultimately I decided to give it full five stars :) was this book perfect? not really, but it started off really good and then before I knew what happened I fell in love with it :) so I figured it deserves all five stars :) it's book one of a series, but it works as a standalone, with a beautiful epilogue and everything :) as far as I know, the second story will concentrate on a whole set of new characters in the same world, but for now, let us concentrate on this particular story :)

Alison is a countess in one of the areas in Tremontane who also happns to work in a publishing company with her father :) her love of books and written word in general is definitely something I can relate to :) she's young, but distant and closed off, mainly because the majority of men she came into contact with were only interested in her because of her looks, title and / or fortune... she's very smart, but can also be very stubborn and prideful... which only makes her more human so I'm not really seeing it as a flaw in my eyes ;) she is summoned to be a lady in waiting for the queen's mother for six months, and by summoned I mean invited, but since there really is no way to decline the offer, well... ;) and it is in the capital when she meets Anthony North, prince and brother of the reigning queen Zara... and by meet I mean... well... he DOES NOT make a good first impression, that's for sure... and by that I mean they make quite a scene during a ball... I don't want to say anything else, because of spoilers, but let's just say that when the queen comes up with a solution to this little scandal they caused, for them to spend more time together for the sake of appearances, none of them is happy... :) well, THEY aren't, but we, as readers, couldn't be happier :) Anthony is definitely a much less likeable character, at least at the beginning... his behaviour can be pretty... well, vain and shallow and without really thinking things through... I don't really want to say too much more, mainly because both these characters have a very beautiful development throughout this story and it will be so much better for you guys if you don't know all the details :) just trust me, those few cringeworthy moments are worth it :) and by cringeworthy do not think I mean the writing style :) because it's fantastic, I solely mean the actions our main characters take :)

Theirs is definitely a slow building romance... what with that big and unpleasant scene when they meet and all ;) but once they spend more time together, they discover, to their surprise, that there are things they have in common :) I would give you an example, but again, I want to tell you as little as I can about them so I won't spoil you those beautiful steps they make toward each other, but on the other hand I need to tell you just enough to convince you to actually read this book :) the whole story can be divided into two parts :) the first one is definitely more romantic, with them getting to know one another and such... there are some glimpses into what the second part will be about, but only teasers... then we have the second part of the story, after a bit of a time jump... that time jump is definitely needed because of the *thing* that happened between Alison and Anthony... *sighs* when I was reading this book I had a feeling something bad will happen soon... because things were going really well and I was worried because it was just the middle of the story... and unfortunately, something really bad DID happen... *sighs heavily* the only good thing I have to say about that is how much I loved Alison's reaction and the way she confronted Anthony... I know it's vague but there is absolutely no way of me saying anything else without some major spoilers, so it will have to do for now :) the second part takes place three months later, when Alison is yet again summned to the capital, for very different reasons this time :) and this part is definitely concentrated more on the politics and intrigue and all that :) don't worry, there is definitely romance as well in there, but in the background :)

When it comes to secondary characters in this story, my personal favourite is Zara, the queen... I don't really know why, because there is not a lot of her in the book, but every time she shows, she steals focus :) I don't know if there will be more of her in future stories or maybe she will get a book of her own, but I just wanted to share that with you :) there were of course many more people along the way, some of them good ones, some of the very bad... as in evil characters, not poorly written ;) all of them added different layers to this already rich story :) although now that I think about it, we don't really get to know too much about the world... :) don't get me wrong, we know enough to follow the plot and understand different interactions but there is definitely much more to discover :) I am absolutely looking forward to future stories for that :)

All in all I really loved this book :) it started of on a very good level for me... I immediately knew that this will be at least a 4 / 4,5 stars book :) but then, the more I read about those characters and the more I got to know them... I slowly fell more and more in love with them :) it was my third book written by the lovely Melissa and I am now pretty much convinced that her writing style just works for me :) she has a beautiful way of painting pictures with her words... :) the descriptions that fill this book are stunning :) and I adore the way she creates characters... they always grow and change throughout the span of the books... and some of them, like Anthony in this case, change tremendously... :) I found the world very interesting, a mix of steampunk-ish vibes with a touch of fantasy is something I love to read about and I am definitely looking forward to going back into it :) especially since I know that we will learn more about different places and customs in that second installment :) but for now, I can wholeheartedly recommend you guys this first story :) I hope I convinved you to give it a try :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment