Thursday, February 23, 2017

Review: "Hard to fall" by Marquita Valentine


Book 4 in series Take the fall
Main characters: Hayden Walker and Saylor Dean

I got an ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review :) and to be honest, I am quite disappointed... I think I'm more disappointed than I would have been, because I had such high hopes and expectations about this one... after all, the other two books written by this lovely author I had the pleasure of reading in the past were both easy 5 stars :) this one... well, I ultimately landed on 3 stars... it works as a standalone, so you don't have to read the previous books to follow the story, but if you're not reading this series in order I'd actually recommend you to start with book #3, which I absolutely loved :) but let's go back to the topic of this particular review :)

Before I start telling you what bothered me, let me tell you quickly what this story is about :) our main couple, Saylor and Hayden got to know each other better at the wedding of the couple from the previous book and their friends :) in fact, thay had such a good time, and a little bit too much alcohol ;) that they decided to get married in Tijuana, where the majority of wedding celebrations took place ;) unfortunately Hayden has definitely A LOT too much to drink, because when he wakes up, he remembers nothing... not the night he spent with Saylor nor their wedding... the rest is history... ;) in this case, it's too spoilerific for me to tell you more :) so now let me get into my thoughts and feelings about all of it :) my main problem with this book was Saylor, the heroine... *sighs* I really liked her as a secondary character in the previous stroy, but here...? I just couldn't really connect with her... and the more I read about her, the more she was bothering me... and the most annoying part of this story was how long it took Saylor to tell Hayden the truth about their marriage... *double sigh* I don't like books where couple keep secrets from one another... and I don't mean that when you meet a new person it's natural that you don't trust them to tell every little detail about yourself, but in this case? yeah... sooooo NOT ok to keep a secret like that... I definitely liked Hayden more than Saylor, but still... I don't really know why, but I didn't really connect with either of them if were being totally honest... I felt like their whole relationship was a case of things happening way too fast... I'm sure that many of you will enjoy it, but it just wasn't for me... I don't really want to say too much, because all additional details would include some bigger spoilers, but... their story just wasn't my thing....

Normally I would write a longer review, because it's a full lenght book, but when I don't really like the story, I tend to write shorter ones... I usually prefer to concentrate more on positive things than the flaws, sooo... ;) this particular book definitely did not discouraged me from reading some of her other work, because I quite enjoy her writing style :) it was written in 2 POVs, which means we got chapters from Hayden's point of view as well as Saylor's :) and you know how much I always enjoy that in stories :) the writing style in general is definitely a plus of this book, it's just that in this case it was my personal preferences as a reader with how I feel about certain characters and stories, that prevented me from really enjoying this book :) hopefully you guys will feel differently and will take my opinion into account while at the same time making a totally independent decision to read, or not, this particular book :) after all, we can't love the same stories every time ;)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment