Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Release blitz + Review: "Breakaway" by Mignon Mykel


Author: Mignon Mykel
Title: "Breakaway"
Book 1,75 in series Prescott family
Main character: Asher Spence

Synopsis

Once upon a time, in a faraway place...

I learned that monsters exist
That the dark is meant for fear
That sometimes you can't even count on yourself

I just have to get past senior year finals, and I can break away-

I can leave the past,
the monsters,
the ghosts,
far, far behind.

I just can't break beforehand.

Author's Note: This novelette contains dark elements that some readers may be sensitive to. This is a story of a seventeen year old girl who wasn't handed the easiest of cards, and is an important piece in understanding her thoughts and actions in the Playmaker Duet, however readers should be able to read the duet without reading this piece prior. Due to content, this book is recommended for readers 18+

I got an ARC of this novella from the author in exchange for an honest review :) I think it's gonna be the shortest review I have ever written, mainly because it was one of the shortest story I've ever read... this novella, or to be honest it's something between a short story and a novella gives us a glimpse into Asher's past... she will be the heroine of the next full lenght novel in the Prescott family series... we already got a glimpse of Porter, the hero of that book... or should I say a two-book-duet :) in the previous novella in this series, and I loved him... and now we got to know a little bit more about Asher... and all I can say is...

I am blown away... Mignon did such a great job showing us the heartbreaking things that Asher had to go through... I inhaled her story in less than an hour and had tears in my eyes throughout half of it... there were moments when I was sick to my stomach reading it... that's how great of a story teller Mignon is... *sighs heavily* my heart was breaking for Asher... and even though I normally don't have to do it, this time I definitely feel the need to warn you guys, that there are triggers for sexual abuse and rape in this story... the whole novella is written from Asher's perspective, which makes it that much harder to read... not because the writing style is awful, trust me... it's phenomenal... but being in Asher's head... it made the whole experience of reading her story that much more emotional and intense... these few chapters show us a little bit more about what happened to her before she met Porter, and let me just say that I cannot wait to read those two books about them... I can't remember the last time I wanted a happy ending for a certain character as much as I want it for Asher... I highly recommend you guys to read this novella if you want to understand her, although I realize it might be too hard for some people... once I will read the actual full lenght books, I will be able to tell you if you absolutely have to read the novellas to enjoy and understand them... but those glimpses into characters... sometimes they make the biggest difference... and I truly believe that Asher's story is important enough to read... all I can say is that it really made an impact and left me shaken... and to evoke such reactions... only the best kind of stories do that to you... now I'm counting down the days to read the full lenght book...








XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment