Friday, January 20, 2017

Review: "120 days" by J. L. Leslie


Author: J. L. Leslie
Title: "120 days"
Book 4 in series Morgan family
Main characters: James Hamilton and Melanie Padgett

I got an ARC of this book from the lovely author in exchange for an honest review :) I feel so torn about this story *sighs heavily* it took me the longest time to figure out how exactly I want to rate it... and ultimately I landed on 3,75 stars... because of sooo many reasons... I'm gonna try and explain all my thoughts and feelings as best as I can without actually spoiling you anything, but first, let me tell you a bit more about this book... it actually wasn't in the original plan for this series, which was supposed to be a trilogy, but then... in that last book... we met certain characters and... well, one thing led to another... ;) I am actually really glad that she decided to write about them, because I was definitely curious about how THAT particular story might go ;) this one can be read as a standalone, but I would actually recommend you to read them in order... or at least read the previous one before this one, because they are pretty tightly connected, and if you read "120 days" first, you WILL be spoiled for a lot of events in "90 days" soooo... you've been warned ;)

Ok, so let's get into a bit more details about this story... once again, it's more on the darker side of the spectrum, dealing with some definitely harder topics... and unfortunately for you guys, I'm gonna have to be pretty vague on the details, in case people who are new to this series or this author will read it :) sooooo... something truly horrible happened to Melanie a few months ago... she was raped... I can't tell you anything else about the circumstances of that, because it's tightly connected to the previous book... she is now back in the city, after spending some time away with her family, and doing her best to regain her life... James is a therapist in a rehab center, and a few years older than her... they met before, because of the reasons I, once again, can't explain in any more details, so let's just get into the actual story in the book that is the topic of this review... it starts when Melanie comes back to the city, and she really has a hard time adjusting to her life... which is perfectly understandable, considering what happened to her... James knows the story of what happened, and I think that, in addition to the person he is, helps her feel safe around him... and that slowly grows into something more... again, it's killing me that I can't really say anything more to you guys, but I don't want to spoil you stuff, and everything else that comes to my mind is just too spoilerific :) so let me jump straight to my thoughts and feelings about this book...

I am still struggling, even writing this review right now, with how exactly express in the best possible way, how I feel about this story... on the one hand, there were things I truly loved about it... and on the other... well, there were also things that kept bothering me... it was written in 2 POVs, and I always love that in a story, when we are able to glimpse into the minds of both our main characters... and the writing style is definitely a plus in this book... I am a huge fan of J. L. Leslie, there is a reason after all why I keep reading her books ;) but as much as I respect her as an author and her right to do with her characters and stories whatever she wants... she creates them after all... I have the same right to have my own opinions about her choices... and it has nothing to do with her as a person or an author :) and this time... well... I felt like some twists and turns pulled focus off of something that I feel like should be kept front and center to the very end... I think that some of them weren't exactly necessary to the plot and sort of stole my attention from something I would rather read about instead... I know I'm being vague, but I am explaining myself as best as I can without spoiling you stuff from the very end of the book... I appreciate how thoughtful she was in approaching such a hard subject, although some developments still felt a bit of too-much-too-soon between Melanie and James... but maybe that's just my personal preferences talking ;) again, on the plus side, I did love to see all the characters I've met before, happy and moving forward with their lives :) so as you can see, I am still all torn up about this story, but by all means, don't let my review discourage you from trying it out :) there were a lot of things I loved about it, and hopefully it will be an even better experience for you than it was for me :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment