Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Release blitz + Review: "On thin ice" by Carrie Aarons


Author: Carrie Aarons
Standalone
Main characters: Nate and Camille

Synopsis

Nathan Rush is a small town man who has never dreamed of a bigger life.

Until, that is, the only surviving heiress of America's richest family lands on his doorstep. Nathan is the groundskeeper at Hollis House, the Valon family's upstate New York mansion just outside of Harlin Falls, the quiet, sleepy town he was raised in. He's an honest, hard-working man who wants nothing more than a beer and a hockey game on TV at the end of the night. Except, when the ice princess starts to melt, Nathan pictures his future in a way he never has before.

Camille Valon's life has taken place in the spotlight.

Until, that is, her parents are murdered in a mysterious Christmas Day fire. Now all she wants is to flee the prying news cameras and slow-moving investigation. She's an upper crust ice princess who is good at keeping everyone at arm's length. Grief-stricken and still fearing for her life, Camille arrives at her family's safe haven estate with secrets and a chip on her shoulder. What she didn't count on was the kind, ridiculously attractive man who caters to her every need.

As the months go by, and an impending threat grows closer to discovering Camille's location, the line between employer and employee becomes dangerously blurred. Nathan and Camille could be each other's saving graces, if only they'd put aside their visions of a perfect life and take the chance fate has put right in front of them.

I got the ARC of this book from the lovely author herself in exchange for an honest review :) and to be honest, I have some mixed feelings about it... let me try to explain :) I gave this book 3,75 stars, although I had some real trouble when it came to give it a rating... don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Carrie's writing style, and it was still really good in this book as it was in her previous ones... my general problems were about this particular story... or to be more exact, the heroine... but before I get into all my feelings and thoughts about the book, let me tell you a bit more about it in general :)

This is a standalone story of Camille and Nate... she is an only heiress of a very wealthy family, after her parents are murdered... dun dun duuuunnnn... sorry for that music interruption, but the moment needed a dramatic music theme... ;) back to the topic :) now her life is in danger as well, so she decides to hide in one of the mansions her family owns, that not a lot of people know about... it's right next to a very lovely and small town... :) Nathan grew up and lived there his whole life... he is now a groundskeeper at that very mansion, taking place of his father after he passed away... theirs is a very slow-building romance... and I liked that about them very much... anything else would seem... inappropriate... especially since she arrives at that mansion about a week after the tragedy... so romance is definitely not on her mind... especially since the person who hurt her family is after her as well... ok, so that's as much as I can tell you about the premise of the book without some major spoilers, so now let me get into all my feelings about it :)

This review will be definitely shorter than my other ones, but I realized that every time I had some problems with the story and / or characters I tend to write short posts... mainly because I don't like to go on and on about things I disliked about a book... there is no need to prolong things I can express in a few sentences as well... and I prefer to focus on all the good stuff :) so let me start with my problems, so we can finish on a more positive note ;) so my main problem was with Camille... I had troubles connecting to her as a heroine in general... but it wasn't until the second half of the book... especially the ending, when she really frustrated me... because I can't go into details, let's just say, that some of her decisions were simply stupid and naive... I was really angry with how she acted in certain moments... and let's just leave it at that... *sighs* now to some good things :) on the other hand, I absolutely loved Nate :) he was genuinly this nice and good guy... and they do not appear as often in books as you might think... ;) I loved how protective he was of Camille, and how he gave her the time to get better... he was just a very good hero of a story :) I also enjoyed the secondary characters in this book, as well as just the whole theme of this little town... the atmosphere was just... so different and lovely there... every time I read a book set in one of them, I tend to get an urge to move there ;) all in all I enjoyed the majority of this story :) yes, Camille was driving me crazy from time to time, but Carrie's writing style was great as always... :) and just because I didn't like her, it doesn't mean you will fell the same :) so I definitely encourage you to read some other opinions besides mine and then make your own decision about whether you want to try this book out ;)







About the author:

Author of romance novels such as Red Card and the Captive Heart Duet, Carrie Aarons writes sexy, swoony and sarcastic characters who won't get out of her head until she puts them down on a page.

Carrie has wanted to be an author since the first time she opened a book. She loves spinning tales that include dapper men, women with attitude, and the occasional hunky athlete.

When she isn't in what her husband calls a "writing coma", Carrie is freeing up her jam-packed DVR, starting her latest DIY project, or planning her next travel adventure. She lives in New Jersey with her husband, who is more than happy to watch sports while his wife plots love stories.

Find her online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment