Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Blog tour + Review: "Liar liar" by L. A. Cotton


Author: L. A. Cotton
Title: "Liar liar"
Book 1 in series Liar liar
Main character: Becca

Synopsis

For eighteen-year-old Becca Torrence, the chance to finish high school in a new town, where no one knows her or the secrets of that night, should be a dream come true. But when the first day of school rolls around, something is wrong.

Instead of being greeted with warm smiles and reassuring hellos, Becca finds herself on the receiving end of icy stares and cruel whispers. Putting it down to her status as an outsider, she holds her head high, because they can’t know.

They can’t.

Can they?

Determined to make her new life in Credence work, Becca is willing to do whatever it takes to fit in. Even if it means losing herself in the process.

A white lie can save you … Too many lies will break you.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review, and I have to say… I have some very mixed feelings about it… originally, I signed up for it, because I loved another story written by this author, so when I saw this opportunity I jumped on it, wanting to see how I will like her other work… and as much as I still absolutely love her writing style, this particular story just wasn’t my cup of tea… I gave this book 3,5 stars for many reasons that I will try my best to describe to you in my review ;)

Let me start with saying a little bit more about the story itself… so in this young adult book we follow Becca’s story… she and her parents moved from this more rich neighbourhood to a whole new town a few hours away, because… well… I still don’t know why exactly ;) but I will get to that in a second… Becca is now attending as a senior in high school in a whole new school with quite different people than she is used to… we see how she adjusts, or at least tries to, and how all the little lies she says along the way ultimately start to weigh her down more and more… my main problem with this book was that I learned about half way through it, thanks to reading one of the reviews that were already up on Goodreads, that this book ends in a cliffhanger… meaning it’s NOT the whole story… which I was not aware of before… *sighs* that definitely explained the long and slow beginning of the book… and by beginning, I honestly have to say that I felt like the majority of the story was just a big intro to what’s gonna happen next… so even if I’d wanted to tell you some more details, and I don’t do stuff like that because of my no-spoilers rule, I couldn’t ;) because after finishing this book I’m sitting here with soooo many questions and practically zero answers… ;) #NoJoke

As much as I loved the writing style, and trust me, I will definitely read some other work by this author, this story… and this character… *sighs* I definitely had some troubles with it all… I think one of the reasons why, is that I am a bit older than Becca… ;) just recently I started to put 3 at the front of my age, so there is quite a gap between us ;) but even when I was younger, I had problems with that whole angsty and full of drama young adult stories… I get that there’s a reason why they are written that way, but… it’s just not my scene ;) I think it would help me, if I would actually get to know more about Becca… because there are a few things that are mentioned very mysteriously in a sentence or two, without giving us any actual answers about what happened and why Becca is the way she is now, which made it that much harder to connect with her as a character for me… some of the things she did were hard to understand, and I have a feeling, that if I knew more, it would make it easier for me to sympathise with her or at least try to understand her… because there were a few questionable choices, I would call some of them even toxic-ish, that made it really hard to root for her… so I’m hoping that the next installment will give us much more informations and background, about not only Becca, but also all other secondary characters that played an important part in this book… because let me tell you… this town is filled with people harboring all sorts of secrets and mysteries… and I don’t know anyhing about them either!!! ;) it’s definitely frustrating… but I am looking forward to the second book, and hopefully the conclusion to this story and actually getting some answers ;) don’t get me wrong, I absolutely don’t want to discourage you from trying it out ;) I just want you to be prepared for what’s gonna wait for you in this book ;) if this sounds like something that you might enjoy, then definitely give it a go ;) I can assure you, the writing style is definitely worth it, as to the story and characters… well… we all have our own personal preferences ;) I shared with you mine and hopefully it will help you make your own decisions ;)



About the author:

Contemporary romance and romantic suspense
… written with feeling

L.A is author of contemporary romance novels ranging from sweet with just a hint of steam, to suspenseful reads full of angst, tension, twists and turns. Home is a small town in the middle of England where she currently juggles being a full-time mum to two little people with writing. In her spare time (and when she’s not camped out in front of the laptop) you’ll most likely find L. A immersed in a book, escaping the chaos that is life.

Find her online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment