Monday, November 14, 2016

Review: "Sexy lies and rock & roll" by Sawyer Bennett


Standalone
Main characters: Evan Scott and Emma Peterson

I got an ARC of this story from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review and it is yet another proof of how much I love Sawyer Bennett's writing style :) because another one of her books and I love the way she creates those characters and interactions between them :) even if some of the things frustrated me a bit... and trust me, there were parts of this book that drove me a bit crazy... ;) but all in all I very much enjoyed it :) so let me tell you a bit more about this standalone contemporary romance :)

So I'm gonna start with our main couple... :) Evan is an up-and-coming music star... he started as an indie artist who quickly got more popular than he expected :) he's definitely a more wild and creative type ;) Emma on the other hand is working as a lawyer in his aunt's firm and loves to dive into the tiny details of contracts... :) so we absolutely have the opposites-attract type of a situation... ;) they meet in quite an unexpected way, but I won't spoil you about it ;) but let me just say, that they both left an impression on one another... so when a bit later Evan offers her an opportunity to work for him that is connected to what she thinks as a dream come true when it comes to her future in law, she decides to accept :) and I know I'm being vague, but the synopsis of the book is also vague and I don't want to say too much, just so you can be as surprised in certain moments as I was :) theirs is definitely a... how to name it best... ? :) it'a hard to choose just one adjective to describe their relationship... the sparks are definitely there... and I mean damn... *fans herself* ;) the book is absolutely hot :) but there are also a lot of surprisingly sweet and vulnerable moments between them as well :) throughout the book we get to see all sorts of unexpected qualities in both of them that we didn't think were there :) and I love that in Sawyer's books... that her characters are never just these one dimensional people... that there are always layers in them and we get to discover all of that as we read the story :) even if some of the things we see aren't exactly what we wanted to see... because I certainly had some troubles with Emma... but I will get to that a bit later :)

As for the secondary characters... I certainly have a few I absolutely loved :) and I have to start with Sirius... Emma's dog :) you may or may not know this abut me yet, but I am a huge dog person :) so every time there is one in a book, I am very happy :) but when it comes to actual people from the book, I want to mention to you two of them :) worry not, there were a lot of others, but I can't share some of them, because of spoilers and I want to leave out a few others, just so you can discover for yourselves along the way which one of them are important :) but the two I want to mention is Red and Midge :) Red is actually a smaller character, the driver of the tour bus for Evan, but I loved him sooooo much, that I just had to tell you about him, just so you can keep your eyes open for scenes with him :) and Midge is Evan's aunt and Emma's boss :) we definitely get to know more about her in the second half of the book, so I won't say too much, but I really liked her character :) again, Sawyer Bennett does a great job with creating those interesting secondary characters that add so much to the overall story... :)

All in all I gave this book 4 stars :) like I mentioned before, there were definitely things that annoyed me... but since the details of what exactly frustrated me are definitely spoiler-ish, let me just say that I'm talking about Emma's certain reactions for some things that happen along the way... again, I have to be vague, so forgive me for the lack of details... let's just say that some of her reactions were rushed, and even though later she started to realize that maybe she was in the wrong, she was too stubborn to do anything about it... and that is one of the reasons why I felt that the ending was a bit rushed as well... I would love for the resolution to last a few more chapters... but don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the story :) it was written in 2 POVs, which means we got to see inside both of our main characters heads :) and I am always a fan of that :) not to mention that the writing style in general was truly fantastic :) so even though there were parts that I wasn't a fan of, I still recommend you to give this book a try :)



XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment