Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Review: "Nobody's hero" by Bec McMaster


Author: Bec McMaster
Book 1 in series Burned lands
Main characters: Lucius "Luc" Wade and Riley Kincaid

I got my hands on a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review :) and I couldn't be more happy about it :) mainly, because since I am now a part of her ARC team... and I am very proud to say that :) because of that I knew that I would be getting the sequel to this book in january :) so my plan was to catch up on that first book in december :) so imagine my surprise and joy when I was offered that very book in an e-mail thanking me, and by me I mean the whole ARC team for being a part of the release blitz for her last book :) it was like a sign... ;) so naturally this gem was bumped on my tbr #BookMountain and let me tell you... I loved it :) I was a bit hesitant going into this story, mainly because it's soooo much different than her other books, but my worries were for nothing :) each book of hers I read, just proves again and again how much I adore her writing style :) sure, I may not love each story and / or characters on the same level, but the phenomenal writing style is a constant in all of her books :) so how about I will tell you a bit more about our main couple and the world this series takes place in general :)

Ok, so the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about this book, is that it has some serious "Mad Max fury road" vibes :) and I am talking only about that one particular movie, because I haven't seen the previous ones :) but I absolutely loved, loved, LOVED this new installment :) and when I started reading this book, the overall vibes were definitely similar :) which only added the awesomeness to the story :) so we have this alternative version of our world, set some time in the future... I'm not gonna go into too many details, mainly because a lot of those details we learn along the way and I want you to discover them as I did while reading... :) but basicalyy there's been some stuff that happened and now part of United States became Wastelands... this very bleak, dystopian place with very little resources and people living in small settlements... with all sorts of bad... let's just say *things* and leave it at that, because calling them *people* would be too much... I know I'm being vague, but I can say only a bit more without some major spoilers... so there are reivers, this group of... let's call them bad scavengers... and of course wargs... they used to be people, but after being infected with a certain virus, well... it changes them... and trust me, they are NOT the worst thing that's out there... I feel like that's pretty much all I can say to you without giving away too much, so hopefully this will be enough to get you curious, when it comes to the world :)

Now let me tell you about our main couple and some secondary characters as well :) but I will start with Luc and Riley :) I did not expect to like them as much as I did :) we are definitely thrown straight into the middle of action when the book starts, and very quickly we encounter the first meeting between them... or more precisly, how she runs him over with a car... #TrueStory :) there's definitely more to that first meeting that you might think, but I won't tell you anything else :) trust me, it's for the best :) what you need to know is that she ends up as his prisoner, after he kidnaps her to exact a revenge on someone who wronged him in the past :) I know, I know... I'm being vague again, but you don't want to know too much before going into this book :) what I love about their relationship, is that it doesn't happen instantly... it's not like she thinks *hey, this guy kidnapped me, but he's pretty hot, so naturally I should fall for him* :) no, it happens over time... ok, maybe not like a lot of time, but definitely A LOT of stuff happens and she has the opportunity to see him in a different light, doing things she did not expect... and the more she gets to know him... well, you can guess the rest :) I love their interactions and how they change throughout the book :) as for the secondary characters... well, again, I can't actually tell you too much about them :) mainly because if I name them, you'll know they will be important :) and trust me, I see soooo much potential for future stories, including one that if I'm right, it will definitely be a surprise for you, so no spoilers from me :) but what I can say, is that once again Bec McMaster was able to create a whole set of different characters that you love or hate, depending on whether they are the hero or the villain of the story :) I love how complex her characters always are and how many times they can surprise you, even if you think you know all there is to know about them :)

If you haven't figured it out by now, I absolutely loved this book :) I know I haven't shared a lot of details about what actually does happen in this story, but me being vague was totally on purpose :) trust me, it's much better this way :) because this book is filled wih surprising twists and turns of events... they happen like all the time... there was one particular moment when I gasped in surprise so hard, I thought I wuld hyperventilate :) #NoJoke :) so I want to be sure that you will be just as surprised as well :) the best compliment I can give this book, is that I couldn't put it down... I was reading it whenever and wherever I could... even in the mornings on my way to work... :) and that NEVER happens :) mainly because after I get up at 5.30 (because I start work at 7) I am usually to sleepy to do anything productive on my way to work :) I listen to some music that prevents me from falling asleep on the bus or subway, but that's pretty much it :) well, once I started reading this book, I was reading it everywhere :) including on my way to work in the mornings... because something fascinating was happening in that story all the time... :) and every time I had to put it down and go do some adulting I was sad... ;) so I read it every chance I could :) I definitely finished it because of that much sooner than I planned :) but it was soooo worth it :) now of course, I can't wait for that second book :) so if you are looking for a different book, for a story that will keep you glued to the pages... or an author with a fantastic writing style and the ability to create worlds and characters that you can't put down, then definitely give this book, and this author in general, a try :) because if you haven't before, you have no idea what you're missing :) go remedy that right now... it will be worth it :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment