Friday, October 21, 2016

Review: "Strange truths" by S. D. Wasley


Author: S. D. Wasley
Book 1 in series Alice England mysteries
Main characters: Michael "Mikey" Warrender and Alice England

I got the ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review :) well, originally I was approached by one of the publishers I'm working with from time to time, with a proposition to participate in a very cool way of promoting an upcomng book and I was intrigued enough to sign up ;) at the end of that promoting cycle I was offered an ARC, so naturally I said yes :) I mean, who says no to free books? crazy people, that's who ;) anyway... :) I'm very glad that it landed on my kindle because I really enjoyed it :) it was definitely different than what I usually read, but I liked it :) it was also the first book written by this author that I got my hands on and I have to say, it definitely won't be the last :) I had to think a little bit about how to approach writing this review so I can convince you to give it a try without actually spoiling you stuff from it, and ultimately I decided that less is more in this case, so I will tell you a bit about the overall story and the main characters and then just concentrate on my thoughts and feelings after finishing it instead of all the little details :) so let's start, shall we? :)

Alice is definitely the first person I have to talk about :) after all, the whole series is named after her :) she works in her family's funeral home and she is... well... very hard to describe, that's for sure ;) she's refreshingly honest and just... different than others... and I don't mean that in a bad way... not at all :) I loved her originality... is that even a word? ;) either way, I'm going with it :) if it's a word then awesome, if not, even better :) then it works perfectly with Alice :) I love how her brain works and I adore what kind of a person she is... I know that I'm being a bit vague, but I truly believe the less you actually know, the better your experience with this book gonna be :) so now let me tell you a bit more about Michael... he is the opposite of Alice... where she's an outsider without friends, he's the star of the swimming team, a popular guy with the perfect girlfriend... but as much as they seem different, there is one thing that Alice and Michael have in common... a dead twin... dun dun duuuunnnn... sorry, but that revelation needed a dramatic music theme ;) ok, but all jokes aside... Michael's twin funeral is actually where they sort of meet... I mean, they go to the same school, but he was totally unaware of her before that... but after... well, one conversation and she sort of... stayed under his skin...  with time they form an unusual friendship... is there more between them? I won't spoil you that ;) but I will say that this is definitely young adult / coming-of-age type of story, with a dash of mystery to it... again, I can't be too specific, because I don't want to ruin you the surprises along the way :) since that is basically all I can share with you without spoilers, how about I will skip to the part about my thoughts ;)

I really enjoyed this book :) trust me, I wasn't sure what to expect about it, so it kind of surprised me :) especially since it's not the kind of a book I usually read :) but the writing style was really good :) I was drawn into the story from the start and was curious where will it go... I am certainly gonna come back to this author, not only because I want to know what the next book will be about, will we see the characters we met here... will it be a whole new set of people... who knows?!? :) but I absolutely want to try out some of her other work as well :) this wasn't a perfect book, it didn't blew my mind, but don't get me wrong... I really enjoyed it :) I gave it 4 stars and that is a really good rating :) I think I would enjoy it even more a few years ago, when I was a bit closer in age to the main characters of the story, but still... :) it was a good book :) I can wholeheartedly recommend it if you are looking for an original and different story :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment