Friday, October 21, 2016

Review: "Hexbound" by Bec McMaster


Author: Bec McMaster
Title: "Hexbound"
Book 2 in series Dark arts
Main characters: Adrian Bishop and Verity Hawkins

I got my hands on the ARC of this book and damn... I couldn't be more happy about it :) as much as I enjoyed the first book in this series... the sequel is soooooo much better :) since it's a second book in a series where the stories are pretty connected, writing this review might be a little tricky, but I will do my best not to spoil you on anything and at the same time convince you to give it a try :) so how about I will start with a little background on the whole world and what's been going on in it ;) no worries, spoiler free even if you are completely new to this series :)

Ok, so this particular series is a mix of Victorian London with just a bit of steampunk-ish vibes and all sorts of sorcery and magical relics :) three of them are actually very important to the story: the blade (which played a huge part in the first story), the chalice (quite important in this book) and the wand, which I'm assuming will come up in the third book ;) the number three is important for more reasons than just those relics, but I absolutely cannot tell you why :) in case you haven't read that first book, because it's a spoiler :) even though each book concentrates on a different main couple, I would highly recommend you to read this series in order... because there are a lot of bigger things going on than just the romance part with each couple, not to mention that those people appear not only in their respective books, but in other ones as well... and trust me, you don't want to miss those scenes... ;) so far one of my favourite parts of both books were the scenes between the characters who will be hero and heroine in that third story, so I know what I'm saying :) ok, now that this little explanation is out of the way, how about we concentrate on this particular book that this review is all about, worry not, it will be totally spoiler free :)

Adrian and Verity... *sighs happily* I had sooooo much fun reading about them... :) Adrian is this mysterious assassin, shrouded in secrets... and to make matters even more interesting... *coughs* virgin hero *coughs* ;) ever since he was introduced in the previous book I was very curious about him and wanted to know more... he doesn't talk too much, mostly keeps to himself... for very good reasons, but still... I wondered who will pull him out of that existence... :) and damn... Verity was everything I was hoping for his heroine :) she's a new character and... well... she is spectacular :) sassy and sarcastic, they met when she...  there's no other way to say it so I'm just gonna do it... :) when she broke into his house to steal that very important magical relic I mentioned earlier... :) I know, not the very best first meeting... ;) and it gets better and better from there :) I don't want to spoil you every little detail about their journey together, because one of the things I love in Bec McMaster's books are those totally surprising twists and turns, so instead of that, I will say that all that banter and interactions between Adrian and Verity were absolutely, without a doubt, my favourite part of the book :) I actually have a pretty good quote that shows one of the conversations between them closer to the begining of the story :) normally if I have quotes, I put them at the end of my review, but I sort of... marked this one and then... well... I totally got sucked into the story and that is the only one I have so I decided why not just put it here :) so here it is for you guys:
"Miss Hawkins's pretty green eyes narrowed. 'Who could not like me?'
'Oh, I've a person or two in mind.'
The suden smile she graced him with made him uncomfortable. 'That's because you've barely had a chance to get to know me. I'll grow on you, Bishop.'
'Like ivy, no doubt.'
'Well,' she murmured under her breath as she pressed close to his side, 'I didn't realize you wanted me to get that close to you. Perhaps if you smiled a little more, I might consider wrapping myself all over you. Like ivy, as you say. You do have pretty eyes, after all.'"
And I swear to you guys that this is just a tiny glimpse into all the awesomeness that awaits you in this story :) there is of course much more to both of them, they each hide secrets, but since I have that no-spoilers rule and all, I won't say anything else :) I will let you discover all of that on your own... trust me, it's soooo much better this way ;)

Besides our phenomenal main couple, we have of course a bunch of secondary characters as well :) there's Ianthe and Lucien, couple from the first book... and I have to say that I enjoyed them much more now that all of their *stuff* is resolved :) and of course we cannot forget about my absolutely favourite pair of characters... the main couple from the third book :) and no, I won't say their names... it can be counted as a spoiler, especially if you haven't read the first book, sooooo... but I can say, that I am absolutely in love with both of them... AND I have no idea how Bec McMaster will end that particular story... I mean, I trust her that she will give them an amazing and beautiful ending, but... how will she get there? I have no idea whatsoever :) but I learned to just stop predicting what's gonna happen next in her books a long time ago... she always does something that shocks me and blows my mind :) there were of course a few more that I would love to name here, but... you know... too spoilery ;) #SorryNotSorry ;)

As much as I enjoyed that first book, the sequel is definitely much better :) or at least it feels like that to me, becauce I loved the main couple more in this installment :) it's connected to my personal preferences as a reader, and that first story just... let's just say that this one is exactly the type I love to read about :) the interactions between Verity and Bishop... or just Verity and other people were soooo entertaining :) I loved her from the start and to see how the journey she's on progresses throughout this story was fantastic :) but the romance is not the only great part of this book :) we also get to know much more about the world and all of the rules, and how different people learn to live in it... I know I'm being vague, but I don't want to ruin certain surprises along the way ;) I highly recommend this author, because her writing style is absolutely amazing... even if I'm not the biggest fan of a certain character or event taking place in the story, her books are always gems when it comes to the quality of writing... I am hooked from the beginning to the very end, never knowing what exactly gonna happen on the next page... it is an uncanny ability to be able to pull a reader inside your story like that, and Bec McMaster does it every single time... :) I cannot wait to see what she has prepared for us next, so if you are looking for a great read, then definitely give this series of hers a try... or any other stories she wrote :) trust me, there is no wrong choice here :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment