Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Release blitz + Review: "Not a hero" by Sarah Robinson


Author: Sarah Robinson
Title: "Not a hero"
Standalone, but... ;)
Main characters: Miles Kydd and Zoe Brooke

Synopsis


From the bestselling author of the Kavanagh Legends MMA series, Sarah Robinson’s Not A Hero is an emotional standalone military romance where love battles trauma, and there can only be one victor.

Former Marine, Miles Kydd, is trying to readjust to civilian life after ending his career and returning to his small home town when he learned his father was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Once the town hero and star quarterback, Miles no longer feels like the man he was, or who he’s expected to be—possibly because his demons have followed him home from Afghanistan.

Meeting Zoe Brooke, his father’s live-in nurse, gives Miles the slightest glimmer of hope that he can still find happiness despite the dark secrets he holds inside. The chemistry between them is undeniable, and together they are explosive—in more ways than one.

A helper at her core, Zoe is more than willing to care for Miles’s heart, but not at the expense of her own, and she’s not afraid to tell him that. She knows what having a painful past is like, and she wants to help him with his, if he’ll let her.

Things get complicated fast when Miles realizes burying his secrets isn’t actually the same as healing from them and if he wants the girl, he’s going to have to tell her the truth—the one thing he can’t do. 

Publisher's Note: This book contains bonus content, including a free novella and excerpts. This book is suggested for 18+ years of age, contains graphic content, sensitive subject matters, and sexually explicit material.

I got the ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review ;) after reading and absolutely loving one of her books, I immediately signed up for her blogger newsletter, so I would never miss an opportunity to help promote her work ;) so when I saw this particular story available for review... *sighs dreamily* I was all over it ;) because it sounds exactly like my kind of a story... more about why in a moment ;) I inhaled it in one afternoon, and really enojyed it ;) so how about I will get into some more details to convince you to give it a try as well ;)

I have to start with the main couple of course ;) Zoe and Miles... because they are the main reason why I was so curious about this book... ok, if I’m being honest, he was the main reason... ;) few months ago I discovered my newest soft spot when it comes to reading... wounded heroes... I mean, I always really loved those stories when one, or both, main characters went through something hard and / or traumatic, and to see their happy ending is always that much more rewarding... but recently I realized, that wounded soldiers have an additional special place just for them in my heart ;) so when I heard that Miles is just that kind of a hero... he’s a marine, back after serving in Afghanistan, battling PTSD... he’s back in his hometown, because his father is sick... those years spent in the army definitely changed him... he enlisted right after high school and after about eight years, he’s not the same... besides the obvious physical changes, because he left as a boy, but came back as a man... he definitely changed mentally... everything he went through... and I’m not gonna say exactly what it was, because that’s a secret that we discover along the way... but all of that left its trace on him... now he’s adjusting to his new life, and that is when he meets Zoe... she is a live-in nurse who helps his sick father... and if you think that Miles is the only one in that pair with a hard past, think again, because Zoe is also re-building her life after certain things... again, I can’t go into more details, because we learn all of that later in the book, so I don’t want to spoil you stuff ;) theirs is definitely a slow building relationship... even though they both feel that mutual attraction, they are also both careful and wary of just jumping into anything... but to be honest I usually prefer those kind of stories ;) not every time, but it really worked with them ;) I absolutely loved to see how they got closer and closer to each other with time... *sighs happily* ;)

Besides the main couple there is of course quite a bunch of secondary characters in this story... with definitely a great potential for future books as well... especially Tobin ;) he’s Miles’s best friend, they both enlisted at the same time and I am truly hoping that he will in fact get a full lenght book at some point in the future... the author herself did not negate that possibility, so who knows ;) but don’t worry, this book can be totally read as a standalone, without any cliffhangers whatsoever... there is one more person I need to mention in my review... Miles’s dad, Walter... oh my how much I loved him... ;) I just wanted to hug him all the time, because of his awesomeness... *sighs happily* I don’t want to say much more and name you more people, because I really prefer to leave you some surprises along the way when it comes to who will turn out to be important ;)

All in all I really liked this book... although a bit less than I expected if that makes sense... ;) let me try to explain ;) before I started it, I thought it’s going to be an easy 5 stars story for me... but it turned out to be a 4 / 4,5 stars one instead ;) don’t get me wrong, it was really good, but somehow... and I can’t quite put my finger on it... something was missing for me to give it full five stars... ;) but the writing style was absolutely fantastic and I could not put it down... it was a fantastic mix of funny, sweet, sexy and emotional moments... it made me laugh and it made me cry... so if the story sounds interesting to you, and you are looking for a lovely read for one of your evenings, or whatever else time you prefer to read ;) be sure to give this story a try ;)








XOXO

A

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. you're welcome :) thank you again for the ARC and I hope you had a wonderful release day :)

      Delete