Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Review: "My song for you" by Stina Lindenblatt


Book 2 in series Pushing Limits
Main characters: Jared Leigh and Callie Talbert

I got my hands on the ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review and… well, I have some mixed feelings… there were aspects of this book that I really loved… but on the other hand there were some parts of it that I wasn’t a fan of… I definitely had troubles when it came to rate this story, but after some thoughts I ultimately landed on 4 stars… although it’s probably closer to 3,75, but I decided to round it up ;) and don’t be discouraged by the fact that it’s book #2 in a series, because it works perfectly well as a standalone ;) it was in fact the very first book written by this author that I’ve read ;) so now let me tell you a bit more about the story ;)

Let me start with our main couple… Callie and Jared… *sighs* I’m gonna tell you some stuff now, but they can’t be considered spoilers, since they appear in the synopsis, so you can’t get mad at me ;) plus, everything is revealed, at least to the readers, very early in the book soooo… here goes ;) Jared got Callie’s older sister pregnant a few years ago, but when she told him that she aborted the baby, they lost touch… now back in the present, he bumps into Callie with a young and deaf boy and soon after he starts to get some suspicions… don’t worry, I’m not gonna spoil you why exactly it’s Callie who takes care of little Logan, but rest assured there’s no baby mama drama in this book ;) so now that you got that little explanation, let me tell you something about them… like with the whole book, there were things I really liked about them, and also things that were pretty annoying… but I’m gonna start with the good stuff ;) I loved how good Callie was with Logan, how hard she fought for his happiness and the way she did her best to provide for him… I also really liked Jared… the way he handled the unexpected news, and the way he acted in a quite mature way when you think about the whole situation... I liked them a lot individually, at least throughout the majority of the book, and I adored how they slowly kept gravitating together… well, that is until near the end of the book, when I felt that the story suddenly kicked into much higher gear, and because of that the whole resolution between our main couple felt rushed to me… I know that I’m being vague, but I can’t tell you more details without spoiling events from the second part of the book, and I don’t want to do that ;) so hopefully what I wrote will be enough to share with you my feelings without actually spoiling you things ;)

Besides the main couple there were of course quite a few secondary ones as well ;) mainly Jared’s bandmates from Pushing Limits ;) there’s Nolan and his girlfriend Hailey, who already got their own book ;) they appear in this story, but without major spoilers about how they got together, and I’m definitely curious to read more about them ;) besides Nolan and Jared, there are three more guys in the band: Mason, Aaron and Kirk ;) all of them got a few scenes in this story, but it was enough for me to get interested in them ;) although I have to say that I would love to read about Mason next ;) and of course last but not least is little Logan ;) he was definitely a very cute kid ;) I especially loved his interactions with some unexpected people ;) don’t worry, I’m not gonna spoil you this lovely surprise ;)

All in all it was a pretty good book ;) I was really looking forward to reading it and it started off great… especially since it was written in 2 POVs, and you all know how much I love to be able to get inside the heads of our main couple ;) I loved both of them, and the interactions between them from the start… and for the longest time I was sure it’s going to be a fantastic read… unfortunately for me the situation changed in the second part of the story… some decisions made by both Callie and Jared felt too child-ish, especially since we are talking about two adults who should also be thinking about a kid in all the mix between them… and like I mentioned before, the end resolution between them felt a bit sudden and rushed… for a second there I was sure that I skipped a chapter or two, but no… I read all there was… I definitely enjoyed the writing style, so I will absolutely check out some of the other books written by this author, and hopefully I will enjoy them a bit more than this one ;) but by all means, don’t be discouraged from giving this particular story a try ;) it had many, many good moments and I really liked the majority of it ;) I’m sure that many of you will read it and absolutely fell in love with it ;) so, like always, I encourage you to make your own decisions ;)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment