Monday, August 29, 2016

Review: "One night stand" by Mignon Mykel


Author: Mignon Mykel
Book 1 in series O'Gallagher nights
Main characters: Conor O'Gallagher and Mia Hampton

I got the ARC of this novella from the author in exchange for an honest review and I have to say that I quite enjoyed it :) it's the first story in her new series and I am definitely looking forward to reading the future installments ;) since it's a shorter story, my review will also be not as long as you might be used to by now to get from me, but if I would write it how I usually do, I would end up spoiling you every little detail ;) so I hope you'll be ok with our little understanding ;) ok, so now that we have that little explanation out of the way, let me tell you a bit more about the novella itself ;)

Conor is a bar co-owner who usually ends up every night with a different woman... or women in some cases... ;) he's confident, cocky and definitely a flirt... and even though he might not be my favourite type of a hero, I liked that he was totally open and honest about his behaviour... he wasn't pretending, everyone involved knew what exactly is going to happen ;) Mia on the other hand is a teacher, a few years younger than him, and she is determined to be one of the women who spend the night with him... he doesn't remember her, but she was best friends with his younger sister years ago, when they were kids... they spend the night together and that's it... until of course a few months later when it turns out that she's pregnant... I don't really want to tell you how he finds out, and what exactly happens later, because like I mentioned before, it's a pretty short story and I don't want to spoil you every little detail ;) so instead of that, I will concentrate on all my feelings and thoughts about it :)

This is the second story written by the lovely Mignon Mykel that I've read, and even though I loved "Interference" more... so imagine my joy when the main couple from that story appeared for a scene or two here :) this one was pretty good :) after all I gave it 4 stars and it's a good rating ;) so the writing style was definitely entertaining, especially since we have 2 POVs in this story :) and you should all know by now how much I love being able to see what exactly is happening in both main characters heads ;) what I had troubles with is the time jumps... I would love to see and get to know more about the time between Conor and Mia, instead of just reading a few sentences summarizing a period of time they spent together... I needed to see a little bit more interactions between them, so the change in Conor would be more believable to me... I know it's a novella and it's much shorter that the full lenght novel, but I missed those scenes... :) I am definitely looking forward to reading about Rory and Brenna, Conor's siblings, in future installemnts in this series :) all in all it was a really good novella, so you should definitely give it a try :) I think I would love it even more if it would have been longer, so that we could see the changes between our main couple and the growth of them as individual characters ;) but the epilogue was absolutely adorable and it left me with the biggest smile on my face, so I hope you'll pick it up and form your own opinions about it :)

Excerpt

O’Gallaghers was the place to go if you were looking for a good time. The local sport teams hung out there after games, for one, but also because the O’Gallagher siblings were a sight to behold.
At least, in my opinion.
I grew up with the siblings, once upon a time. From the time I could walk and all throughout high school, my parents and I lived next door to the O’Gallagher family. Brenna, the youngest of the trio, and I had been best friends up until the fifth grade. Conor, the oldest, and Rory, three years younger than him, were wild, flaunted sex appeal like nobody’s business, and were fiercely protective of their baby sister.
They also didn’t seem to think she was every bit as wild and crazy as they were, which was actually part of the breaking point in our friendship. By the age of ten, I was no longer good enough for Brenna.
While I remained the quiet, timid Mia, the only part that was wild and crazy about me was the brown, curly locks on my head. Two years after our friendship ended, I still held on to my baby fat while Brenna was the first in our grade to get breasts, then her period. She was the first to grow tall in our class, too. Sure, we eventually all caught up and she became the shortest in our grade, but it didn’t stop the boys from noticing her. She was a five-four, C-cup beauty with raven black hair and piercing green eyes, and we were only twelve years old.
By fourteen, rumor had it she lost her virginity in the back of a high school senior’s van. A classmate of Rory’s, no less.
By sixteen, the rumors started circling she was pregnant. She wasn’t, I don’t think, but it was a popular story, told again and again.
The thing with the rumors was that the people spreading them, the people responsible for them, were extremely careful to keep their words clear of Conor and Rory.
Brenna left for school in her conservative clothes and always returned home in them. She left clean-faced and was sure to wipe the make-up off before heading home.
I’m sure her brothers weren’t stupid, but with everything else going on in their lives—senior year, college, and the like—if Brenna showed up clean and fresh and like the angel they thought she was, they could go on and pretend the same.
I never spread the rumors.
It wasn’t that I was afraid of her brothers; quite the opposite, actually. At all of eight years old, I had fancied myself in love with fifteen-year old, Conor. He shared the same jet-black hair Brenna had, but his eyes were the type of blue you could see from a mile away.
So incredibly brilliant.
As much as I missed Brenna’s friendship, it was the easy smiles her brother always had for us that I missed the most.
I sat at a high-top table in O’Gallaghers, my eyes on the man running the bar, hoping to catch that blue brilliance, willing it to aim my way.
Conor O’Gallagher.
I hadn’t seen him in fifteen years so I doubted he would recognize me.
But I certainly recognized him.
Gone was the lanky, tall, clean-faced kid from our youth. In his place was a taller, broader man with a short, yet thick, beard. The only time he flashed his smile was when he was flirting and he always paired it with a sexy wink. Tonight though, was ladies’ night, which meant he brought the charm up one-hundred-fold.
The O’Gallagher siblings were second generation Irish-Americans; their grandparents were from Northern Ireland. Anyone with any knowledge of Irish history would know that the Irish didn’t wear kilts, but rather tunic things called lein-croichs.
Ok, maybe I looked it up.
But I had been pretty sure kilts were a Scottish thing.
Anyhow.
Thursday was ladies’ night, and Conor and Rory brought it up a notch by wearing solid black kilts—last week’s was saffron colored—paired with the forest green shirt that was part of the bar’s uniform. No other bartender did the same, just the O’Gallagher boys.
They also both wore tan work boots, which should have made the ensemble ridiculous but rather…
It was fucking sexy as all get out.
I had been coming in a few times a week for the last three weeks, trying to get the nerve to go up to Conor. Re-introduce myself. See if he wanted to sit and talk, ease him into what I really wanted from him. Yet, every time I came in, I sat at this table, away from the bar and away from Conor.
I licked the corner of my lips as I lifted the glass of Irish ale to my lips, my eyes still on the man of the hour.
Each time I was there, I was helped by one of the female barmaids. If I wanted to be helped by Conor, if I wanted him to truly notice me, I would have to sit at the bar but I still had to form a plan because I wanted more than to just sit and talk and catch up.
You see, for all of Conor’s flirting, he always backed it up. Sure, he flirted with damn near every female in the place, but if he gave you extra special attention, you just knew where your night was going.
Allegedly at bar close, he took one of the remaining ladies up to his apartment for a wild rendezvous. Never a virgin; he wasn’t quiet about his lack of desire to take a virgin to bed. He liked the wild women who knew their own way around the bedroom.
Thursdays, rumor had it, he brought two up with him.
I didn’t want to be one of two tonight, no.
But I did want one night with him.
A night to learn the ropes of sex.
Because if anyone knew what he was doing, it was Conor O’Gallagher.
And I was going to be his first virgin.


XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment