Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Review: "30 days" by J. L. Leslie


Author: J. L. Leslie
Title: "30 days"
Book 1 in Morgan family series
Main characters: Cameron Morgan and Memphis Stone

I got an ARC version of this book from the lovely author in exchange for an honest review and I have to say that it was another 4,5 stars story for me :) it was my third book written by her, and I have to say, that each time I am actually surprised by how much I enjoy them :) don't get me wrong, they always start good, but somewhere along the way, I'm not sure how to describe it... :) it's like a soap opera :) and I mean it in the best possible way... you start it without expectations, because you never know what can happen... but without even realizing it, you get more and more immersed in the story and the characters... there's drama, angst, emotions, lots of surprising twists and turns... and at that point you just have to finish it to know how it will end :) this is exactly what happens to me when I read her books... :) so how about I will tell you a bit more about this particular one :)

Memphis is a young woman who has been stripping for three years to help pay for her sister college... she does what she can to provide for both of them, especially since she can't count on anyone else for help... she's smart and determined and I really liked her as a character... Cameron on the other hand... he's a lawyer, working in his father's company... very rich, from an influential family... he's definitely more cold and distant... they met in her club, where she caught his eye... there's definitely chemistry between them and mutual attraction, but not much more... at least at first... ;) and this is the moment when the titular "30 days" starts to make sense... he offers an insane amount of money for a month of her time... and yes, that is me saying nicely that he basically buys her body for that time... and before you all get too judgy, he's not coercing her to agree, or blackmailing her or anything... she agrees with her own free will... yes, she is in a tough spot financially at the time, but it's not like she would die without that money... so it's definitely not the kind of a story I am used to read ;) it's more darker and complicated... and if you think that the time of that deal is the whole book think again... cause it's actually less than half of the book... because there's soooo much more going on... :) as always, I can't tell you the details without spoilers, so you'll just have to trust me on that :)

Besides our main couple, we have lots of secondary characters as well :) there's Blake, Cameron's younger sister who I absolutely loved :) I'm sure... ok, I'm almost sure... like 99% sure ;) that she will get one of the other stories in this trilogy :) I even have a feeling who she will end up with... but ssshhh... that would be a spoiler ;) and I need to mention Anniston, Memphis's younger sister... I adored her :) she was direct and was not afraid to speak her mind even if sometimes she really should think before opening her mouth ;) there was definitely a few more people that I would love to tell you more about, but I think that it would definitely spoil you some surprises along the way, if you knew before reading the book which character will turn out to be important... because not all of them are obvious from the start :)

This is the first book in a trilogy, but don't worry, the story with our main couple is resolved in this installment :) but it definitely leaves you curious about future books... I absolutely am... especially since I have a feeling about those future couples... but I won't say it out loud :) because first of all, that would be a spoiler and second of all, I don't want to say it in case I might be wrong ;) we have 2 POVs in this story, and I am always a fan of that :) I love to be able to see inside both of the main characters heads and see what they are thinking ;) it was definitely a quick and entertaining read... although I was surprised by a bit more darker vibes than I was expecting... it's not a bad thing, just an observation... but those vibes definitely matched the tone of the story, so I think it was a good choice... that's also why I really loved the relationhip between Memphis and Cameron... it's not some rainbows-and-unicorns sweet romance... it starts with a sizzling hot attraction and a deal between them... but after some time it grows into something more... even though both of them have no idea how to really be with another person... I loved to see how they changed with time and tried their best to work stuff out between them :) so if you are looking for a guilty pleasure read... and I mean it in the best possible way... :) a book that will keep you entertain... definitely give this one a try :)


XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment