Monday, August 22, 2016

Release blitz + Review: "The sex education of M. E." by L. B. Dunbar


Author: L. B. Dunbar
Standalone
Main characters: Merek Elliott and Mary Elizabeth "Emme" Peters

Synopsis

I’m forty, flabby, and frustrated. Don’t get me wrong, I have a good home, a decent job, and great children. I had a loving marriage for twenty years where we had our ups and downs. It wasn’t perfect; but it wasn’t awful. Then he died.

After the grief took its course, and the reality of my life set in, I grew frustrated. It wasn’t the bills or the struggle to keep my interest in my work. It was life without a man – the only man I’d been with for twenty years. And before you go all feminist on me, it isn’t that I can’t be an independent woman, but there are certain areas where a man is necessary.

You need a fuck buddy, my friend said.
I didn’t even know what that meant.
Is it friends with benefits?, I asked.
Better, you don’t even have to be friends, she offered.

Boy, did I need an education in the modern workings of dating, and sex.

I got my hands on the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review and I have some mixed feelings about this story... ultimately I gave it 3,5 stars but I'm still not entirely sure about my rating... it was my first book written by this author and based on the writing style, which I enjoyed, I will definitely check out her other work, because hopefully my problems with this one were solely connected to this story and characters... let me try to explain it a bit more...

When I read that this book will feature a main couple who are both over forty, I was really curious :) usually I read about a bit younger people, so I was looking forward to change it up a bit... :) and let's not kid ourselves, even before I started reading it, I had certain expectations... unfortunately, those expectations weren't met... mainly, I was really surprised by the amount of angst and just unnecessary misscommunication in this book... I truly hoped that both Merek and Emme would act in a more grown up way... but this whole push-and-pull and secrets and angst... I felt like I was reading about some college kids... or teenagers... it was an unexpected surprise, and not in a good way... especially since I'm really not a fan of those type of relationships and interactions... I tried to sympathise with them, I really did... and even though I understood some of the actions and decisions they were making, the majority of them... just made it really hard for me to connect with them... and not only with them, but with the secondary characters as well... they were a bit too meddling for my taste...

Don't get me wrong, there were definitely parts of this book that I loved :) the writing style was entertaining and there were such swoonworthy moments in this story... not to mention the hilarious ones... ;) so I will definitely go back and check out more stories from this author :) this particular one is written in 2 points of view, and you know I always love when I have two perspectives in books, so that was absolutely on the plus side :) I am perfectly aware that this is a much shorter review than you are used to getting from me, but honestly... the things I want to tell you are too spoilerific and I can't share them here... and the rest... well, this book definitely had some great moments, but it wasn't very memorable for me... by any means don't let my opinion discourage you from trying it out :) if the synopsis sounds interesting for you, then go for it :) I bet that for some of you it will become an instant favourite that you will re-read time and time again :) it just didn't work out for me this way :) maybe because I expected something else, so my disappointment was bigger than it would have been, had I known what actually will be going on in this book... but as always, when I share with you guys my thoughts and opinions, I strongly encourage you to make your own :) trust me, there are tons of books I really don't like and my #BookBesties adore and vice versa ;) but I wish you happy reading time whatever you'll decide :)







About the author:


L.B. Dunbar loves the original legend of King Arthur. Inspired by this classic tale, she pulled over to the side of the road to take notes when it hit her that if King Arthur lived today, he'd be a rock star. A lover of fairy tales, myths, legends, and anything with happily ever after, she loves to read and write contemporary romance. Her Legendary Rock Stars series is complete with the final tale: The Trials of Guinevere DeGrance, but the story began with The Legend of Arturo King. She also wrote The Sensations Collection, which includes five stand alones based on the five senses in a small town setting near Lake Michigan. Raised on one side of that lake, she grew up in Michigan, but now lives on the other side, in Chicago. Mother to four, wife to the one and only, and teacher to hundreds of former students, she looks forward to sharing more stories in the future.

Find her online: Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment