Monday, June 27, 2016

Review: "The unquiet dead" by Chris Dubecki


Author: Chris Dubecki
Standalone, but... ;)
Main character: Tyler "Ty" Dufresne

I got my hands on the ARC of this amazing debut novel thanks to the publisher, who sent me one in exchange for an honest review :) and I have to say that I absolutely loved it :) it was another example of a newbie author, who totally surprised me with his fantastic writing style... :) unfortunately there will be no quotes today for you, cause it was really hard for me to pick something short, and not like three whole pages ;) that would show you the banter between characters and at the same time wouldn't spoil you some pretty improtant things :) but trust me when I say, that it was absolutely entertaining :) and since it's a debut novel, for now it's a standalone, so don't worry about cliffhangers and such, the... let's just call it "situation" is resolved in this book, but there are definitely open doors for future installments... and I am hoping there will be more :) and after you have a chance of reading about these characters, you'll want more too :)

So let me tell you a bit more about the cast of characters :) Tyler is definitely the main one :) the whole book is told from his perspective after all :) he is 19, and have been a necromancer for the last four years... there is actually a very... I wanted to say cool, but let's go with interesting or unusual instead ;) way of becoming one :) I'm not gonna tell you what it is... mainly because I don't want to spoil you stuff and also, because the explanations in the book are really good :) Ty is also a pre-med student, but what I think I love the most about him, beside his sarcastic humor ;) is that he is an openly bi character... and it's just... there... :) there are no struggles, no coming to terms with that... it's just one more feature about him... at one point in the book he says... and I just love this quote... "I'm attracted to people, not genders" :) you have no idea how happy that made me :)

Besides Tyler, there is a bunch of other characters... and they are definitely a diverse and very interesting bunch, let me tell you that... :) I'm not gonna tell you about every one... especially since we discover how important some of them are late in the book, but I will mention a few :) so we have Cassie, Ty's ex and current friend and Juan, her new boyfriend... there's also Kyle, another one of Ty's friend and his younger brother Zach... and I absolutely have to mention Trish... she's... well... it's complicated :) all of the people I mentioned are interesting for very different reasons... and we discover quite a few of those reasons throughout the book... that is why I will say nothing more about them here, so you'll have surprises along the way... and believe me, those few are just a part of a very large and diverse cast of characters... :) oh, I almost forgot about Davy Jones... :) he's Tyler's cat... well... not just a regular cat, but... again, no spoilers from me, you'll find out once you read the book :)

The action starts from the very first chapter... we are basically thrown right in the middle of it :) but fear not... :) Ty, even though he's been a necromancer for around four years, doesn't really know that much about this whole... paranormal side of the world :) so we kind of learn along with him :) and don't worry, the important informations are repeated a few times in the book, and not everything is dumped on you in the first chapters :) which is a very smart thing to do, cause it gives you time to absorb the informations... :) so just go with the flow and don't worry... you'll get everything at some point :) now about my impressions :) I really loved this book :) I adored the big and diverse cast of characters... the action... the rules of this world... well, the rules of the paranormal part of this world, cause the action takes place in Toronto, not in a mystical world :) I love how the story came together... and I especially love that after finishing it, I could see little things here and there that were put there for a reason... I know I'm being vague, but I don't want to spoil you accidentally... :) let me try again... :) for exmple a person is mentioned... or an event... and you think it's just there as part of a story that someone is telling, but it isn't until later that you discover how important it was... :) that is the best way I can describe it :) but I always love it when authors put something like that in their books... :) it really shows they do have a bigger picture in mind, and that everything is in its place for a reason :) I can wholeheartedly recommend this book, especially if you're in the mood for something with paranormal vibes, entertaining cast of characters and lots of action... then definitely give this book a try :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment