Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Review: "Ramping up" by Zoe Dawson


Author: Zoe Dawson
Title: "Ramping up"
Book 1 in series Mavrick Allstars
Main characters: Gunner Smith and Helena "Lena" Mavrick

I received the ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review and I have to say I really enjoyed it :) it was the first book I read by this author and based on the writing style I will definitely go back to check out her other work :) not to mention that I simply cannot wait to get my hands on the next installment of this series :) I've been reading a lot of new authors for me lately, and I am more than pleased that the majority of them is, just like in this case, very good :) so many awesome new books that I can add to my always growing #BookMountain ;) so how about I tell you a bit more about the book itself? ;)

Gunner and Lena are both in their middle twenties :) Lena is a sports agent, working in the company founded by her father... a big and very famous company I have to add ;) Gunner is an ex-surfer wondering what he'll do next, when Lena approaches him with an offer to represent him as a skateboarder after a video of him doing tricks has gone viral :) there is of course much more as to why she in particular wants to sign him, but I don't want to spoil you anything, so that's all the details you'll get from me ;) Lena is this determined and hard working woman, who thinks she has everything figured out... that is of course, until she meets Gunner... two years younger than her, his life was much more darker and complicated... and still is... full of family drama, he's used to people leaving him and always being alone... when they meet, there's definitely attraction between tham, but because of their professional relationship, they can't do anything about it... or should I say they shouldn't... ;) because we all know that they will get together at some point ;) rules be damned... ;) what I love about them, is how they influence each other... because not only Lena changed Gunner, showing him how big of a difference one person standing by your side can make, but it works also the other way around... ;) Gunner changed Lena as well, showing her that there's more to life than winning... the only problem I had with them, is that they had to hide for so long... I mean, I do get why they had to do it, it's just something I am not a fan in books in general :)

Besides our main couple we have a bunch of very interesting secondary characters that I absolutely can't wait to read about... I definitely have a wish about the heroine of the second book... ;) *coughs* Trista *coughs* ;) she and Hannah are Lena's best friends and co-workers in Mavrick Allstars company :) they are both such entertaining characters and I am really hoping both of them will get their stories, but Trista caught my eye and my fingers are crossed that I will be able to read about her soon... ;) there were of course much more... :) Lena's father, his friend Max, just to name a few, but I really think that it would be better if you discover them along the way on your own :) especially since a lot of them are connected to things I can't tell you about :) I know, I know... sorry for being a tease, but... spoilers... :)

I really enjoyed this book :) because of the great writing style it was a very quick read for me :) I loved the story of Gunner and Lena, even more so because of the 2 POVs :) it's always a plus for me in books, when I can get inside the heads of both main characters... and it was done very well in this case :) you could actually see the difference between Lena and Gunner without thinking all the time "wait, which point of view I'm reading now?" :) I see a lot of potential in this series and I'm very curious to see what's gonna happen in the future stories :) hopefully, we'll get a little glimpses of this couple in them :) I adored their story and it had such a wonderful ending... with a very cute epilogue, so be sure to go give it a shot :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment