Thursday, June 16, 2016

Review: "Escape from Witchwood Hollow" by Jordan Elizabeth


Standalone
Main character: well, about that... ;)

I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review and I have to say... I have troubles putting my thoughts into words :) because this book was not what I expected... not in a bad way, just in a... surprising way :) and since it's pretty short and a lot of stuff happens inside of it, my review won't be too long, because I don't want to spoil you anything :) let me start by saying a little bit more about the story first, and then I will share with you guys my feelings about it :)

So I'm gonna start with the main character... which is not as obvious to determined as you might think actually ;) because even though this book is on the short side, it actually tells the stories of a few people on the span of a few centuries... :) are you impressed? cause I was ;) first we have Honoria, a fifteen-year-old who moves with her older brother, aunt and uncle to Arnn, after her parents died in the 9/11 tragedy... she pretty quickly discovers that there is a place near by, that is supposed to be haunted by the witch... where people disappear and other creepy stuff happens... and it's definitely not only folklor and ghost stories... apart from her story, we also get to know two others, in the form of flashbacks throughout the book... one, a woman from the 17th century, the witch, and how she became her... and a girl from the 19th century... again, I can't tell you more about them, because of spoilers, so let us concentrate on the stuff I can share with you and skip to my impressions... :)

I enjoyed this book... it's definitely different than what I usually read, so I very early on stopped comparing it to other stuff I have on my kindle ;) and instead I tried to keep an open and fresh mind to follow the story as it unfolded... on the one hand, I really liked the writing style, and definitely was a fan of the flashbacks :) I thought they gave us, as readers, an incredible opportunity to see some other sides to the story about the witch... on the other hand I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending, but I can see how it fitted the story and tone of the book, so I'm not really complaining... ;) just a personal preference :) I think I would enjoyed it more if I was younger, cause sometimes I had troubles connecting to the characters, because of that age difference :) which is not taking anything away from the story itself, again... just my thoughts :) it was definitely a very interesting read, a unique story told from different perspectives that really intrigued me :) so if you are looking for a good and quick read with paranormal vibes, then definitely give this story a try... ;)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment