Saturday, May 7, 2016

Review: "Settling the score" by R. S. Grey


Author: R. S. Grey
Book 1 in series The summer games
Main characters: Frederick "Freddie" Archibald and Andie Foster

Synopsis

As an Olympic rookie, Andie Foster has spent far more time in her cleats than between the sheets. For 21 years, her Friday nights have consisted of blocking shots rather than taking them. But now that she's landed in Rio, she's ready to see for herself if the rumors about the Olympic Village are true:

             The athletes are all sex-crazed maniacs...

             The committee passes out condoms like candy...

             The games continue long after the medals have been handed out...

As Andie walks the line between rumor and reality, she's forced into the path of Frederick Archibald, a decorated Olympic swimmer and owner of a sexy British accent—too bad he's unavailable in a way that "it's complicated" doesn't even begin to explain.

In other words: off limits.

It doesn't matter that he has abs that could bring peace to the Middle East and a smile that makes even the Queen blush; Andie fully intends on keeping her focus on the soccer field. But the Village is small. Suffocating. Everywhere Andie goes, Freddie happens to be there—shirtless, wet from the pool, and determined to show her a whole new meaning of the phrase "international affairs". 

This book was a 4 / 4,5 stars read for me, but Georgie made me bump it up to a full 5 stars rating ;) I will explain why and who she is exactly in the later part of this review :) but first of all, I need to send a big virtual hug to R. S. Grey for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review... there were a lot of technical problems along the way and I couldn't be more grateful for finally getting this little gem, because I absolutely loved it :) you have a new fan in me :) now that all of that info is out of the way, let me get into more details about why you should all get this book ;)

I'm gonna start with our main couple :) Andie is 21 and a goalkeeper for the USA soccer team in Rio and a rising star :) Freddie is 27 and a swimmer for Great Britain and definitely very famous :) they are both hard-working and dedicated to achieving their goals... after all, there's a reason why both of them are in Rio in the first place :) when they meet during a party there is an instant fascination and attraction between them... :) but how else would it go... she asks him for his pants in the very first conversation they have... ;) don't worry, it's much more innocent than you think, but I'll leave you to discover that little detail on your own :) there's just one problem... Freddie is technically betrothed to Caroline... but believe me, that situation is much more complicated than you think so don't be judgemental... again, I can't explain too much because of spoilers... :) I loved the chemistry between our main couple, how much they affected each other... and even though I'm usually not loving this kind of a push-and-pull attraction, this time it was sizzling hot and I could not put the book down... very well done :) of course there are much more things going on inside this story than just the romance, but again... no spoilers :) just wanted to let you know there's more :)

Besides Andie and Freddie, there is a bunch of secondary characters in this book that added so much awesomeness to this story :) and I just have to start with Georgie :) she's Freddie's younger sister and I absolutely loved her :) she was hilarious, sassy and just super fun to read about :) she's definitely my favourite character in this book and I really hope she'll get her own story at some point, because I simply need to know more... so you need to read this book right now and see it for yourselves, so we can start a petition or something to make that happen ;) but besides her, there were also Kelsey and Becca, Andie's friends / teammates and roommates in Rio :) they are both married at this point, but if you want to know more about them, read "Scoring Wilder" :) Kinsley and her husband are the main characters in that story, and I know from a trusted source, that Becca and her man get together in that one as well :) but you can read it whenever you want, before this one or after :) just wanted to let you know, in case you are new to this author as I am :)

I absolutely loved this book :) it had 2 perspectives, which I love... especially if it's done right, like in this story :) the writing style was fantastic... fun and sexy, I was reading chapter after chapter and just couldn't put it down :) there are a lot of things happening in this story that I can't write to you about here, because it would be too spoilerific, but trust me when I say... this book was a fantastic read :) full of twists, hilarious moments but also emotional ones as well... it was my first book written by R. S. Grey but I am definitely reading all others she wrote :) I mean, who wouldn't love an author who wrote, and I quote "epilogue to the epilogue (because I can)" :) and those two epilogues were a truly perfect ending to this story :)

I have for you a few quotes today, but since they are from the ARC version, there might be slight differences in the finished version :) but I needed to show you the amazing writing style that awaits you in this story... and believe me, what you see here is just a small glimpse of the awesomeness in this book ;) happy reading :)

Part of a conversation between Andie and her teammates when they try to spot Freddie in the crowd ;)
"'I don't see him!'
Michelle groaned. 'Look! He's the tall guy with the brown hair!'
'Right, Michelle, because that really helps,' Kinsley said, giving up and falling back onto her seat.
I laughed, prepared to give up as well, but then Michelle screamed and pointed out the front window. 'THERE! HE'S RIGHT THERE!'
I wedged myself in between Becca and Kinley and froze as Freddie came into view, framed in the center of the windshield as he crosses the street.
God save the queen.
'Damn,' Nina whispered, clawing her fingers into my arm so she could push herself up for a better view. Damn didn't begin to cover it. Damn was a word for ugly peasants. This Freddie? The sight of him begged a rousing 'good heavens' with a polite undertone of 'new pair of panties, please'. His face was so handsome I blinked three times before letting myself believe I was looking at a real live human."

Just a small proof of the awesomeness that is Georgie :) her texts to Freddie :)
"Georgie: Mum is LOONY. She's phoned Caroline and told her you'd LOVE her to join you in Rio. I tried to pry the mobile from her hand, but you know how strong those bony digits of hers are. I think I've strained my wrist...
Georgie: She's absolutely mad. I'm putting myself up for adoption. Think anyone will have an adorable, house-trained eighteen-year-old?"

Part of a conversation between Andie and her mom :)
"She didn't even notice she'd cut me off.
'What?'
'I try to walk at least a mile or two every morning. I even put on some Taylor Swift sometimes, but don't tell your dad because he thinks her music is just...'
'MOM. What'd you watch this morning?'
'Oh! It was this little special on the CBS.'
She loved saying 'the CBS' like it was a thing.
'Have you heard of Frederick Archibald? They did a feature about his upbringing and his special path to the Olympics.'
My stomach dropped at the mention of his name. Was there no escaping his celebrity?
'Apparently he's a prince or something in England!'
I laughed and shook my head. 'Mom, he's not a prince. He's just on the swim team.'
She shushed me. 'No, no, believe me. Hold on, let me open up the Google.'
Oh Jesus.
Ten minutes later - after she'd accidentally restarted her computer and updated her antivirus software twice - she pulled up the article."

Part of a conversation between Andie, Kinsley and Becca ;)
"'That makes no sense,' Kinsley said. 'You're going because you think the man will look good in the pool.'
Becca nodded. 'And you want to see him shirtless. You're reverse Ariel; you're trading your human legs for a mermaid tail so you can kiss him.'
I gasped. 'What? No. That's preposterous.'
'You've never used that word, so I know you're lying.'"

One more about Andie... I can honestly say I would probably do the same thing... ;)
"Trying to slyly check out Freddie in his swim shorts should have been an Olympic sport in itself. The moment he stood up and shed his towel, I turned my head but simultaneously developed one lazy eye, which pointed at Freddie regardless of which way I looked.
When he stretched by the edge of the pool, I lost motor function and suddenly couldn't remember how normal people stood. Do they hold their weight on both legs or just sort of casually lean on one? Crossed arms? No that looks angry. Wait, what are arms for again?"

And the last one, between our main couple ;)
"Seriously, it wasn't real. The chest. The abs. His body was so sculpted it seemed to fit on the pages of an art history book better than it did in real life. I stepped closer and held my hand up to block everything from my view except for his face.
'What are you doing?' he asked with a smile.
'I can't talk to you if you aren't wearing a shirt. It's very distracting.'
He laughed and reached for my hand to pull it away from my eyes. 'Youre mad.'
'Fine, but if I start to drool or something, you can't hold it against me.'"

Now that you see how awesome it is, I have for you the link to one-click this baby ;)



About the author: 


I am a lover of books, chocolate, reality TV, black labs, and cold weather. Seriously, if I had it my way, I would be curled up on the couch with all of those things... everyday.


I live in Texas where I spend my free time writing and reading. My favorite authors include Mindy Kaling & Jonathan Safran Foer. I'm a comedy geek and love all things "funny". Women like Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Mindy Kaling are definitely the biggest inspirations for my writing, though I think my work tends to skew a bit smuttier than theirs.

Find her online: WebsiteFacebookTwitterInstagram | Goodreads


XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment