Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Review: "Seize the night" by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Book 6 in series Dark hunter
Main characters: Valerius and Tabitha

I have to say that I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed this book :) don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Sherrilyn Kenyon and her writing style, but I kind of didn't know how this particular couple will end up together... but yet again, she delivered in a most surprising and yet satisfying way :) I won't be explaining everything about this world and the variety of characters that appear in it, but I will tell you this... even though I highly recommend to read all those books in order, like any series, she writes all of her books in a way, that you get enough informations to follow the story and the main couple :) so even if this is the your first book of that series, or you just had a longer break and don't remember everything... and that's usually my problem ;) you won't be lost :) in a second I will dive into more details, but before that, I want to mention to you her official website :) it's the best website of an author I have ever seen :) full of additional informations, pictures, book trailers and much, much more... be sure to check it out sometime ;) and now let me tell you more about this book and the couple that surprisingly stole my heart ;)

From the moment we met Valerius in previous books, we saw him as pompous, arrogant, cold and distant... pretty much the way everyone else saw him... he's not a very likable character... but we should learn by now that when it comes to Sherrilyn Kenyon and her characters, there's usually much more to them than we think... :) and that is so very true in his case... :) because the more I got to know his story, the more I wanted to just hug him and make everything better... I was almost shouting at the other characters to stop being so mean to him... that's how much I loved him... :) and then there's Tabitha... when I met her in book #1, cause she's the twin sister of the heroine from that story, I didn't really like her... I saw her as this wild, loud, kind of all-over-the-place girl... a bit too much for me... but her own book absolutely changed my mind... about liking her, because she is still this wild and loud girl ;) but once I got the chance to see some things from her perspective, learned what she's been through... it really helped me understood her better... and now this kick-ass warrior is one of my favourite heroines ever ;) I mean who wouldn't love a brave and funny owner of a sex shop who can swear in latin? ;)

They meet for the first time one night when they both are fighting daimons... or to be more precise, she's fighting them, he comes out of nowhere to help her and she stabs him... by mistake of course ;) cause during the whole fight she thinks he's one of the bad guys so it's more of an involuntarily reaction ;) when she realizes her mistake she quickly helps him and takes him back to her place... :) I can't really tell you much more about what's happening later, cause besides the main couple getting together there is sooo much more going on... there are old enemies coming back with a vengeance so it's pretty dramatic... and believe me... this book made me tear up a bit... and not always in an aaawwww-what-a-cute-scene kind of way... so be prepared for the unexpected... ;) but besides a whole lot of stuff I can't tell you about, there are also some details that I can share here... ;) for example, I absolutely loved how she treated him fairly from the beginning... maybe that was partially because she's an empath, so she sort of knew the feelings hiding beneath his icy facade... a facade she promptly disregarded I have to add ;) and it was amazing to see how her way of living and the way she treated him had such an impact on him... they seem like night and day, totally different personalities, and yet they suit each other in a perfect way... it was actually very adorable to see... ;)

Besides our main couple we have of course a bunch of secondary characters, mostly from previous books, since the action goes back to New Orleans again ;) so we get to see some former dark hunters with their significant others... but also some new faces ;) I would say more, but that would have to include some spoilers about previous books and we don't want that, do we? ;) but as always those characters are a fantastic addition to the story and the rich world that Sherrilyn Kenyon created... but believe me when I say that not all of them make it to the end of the book... so besides some really hilarious or "aaawww" moments there are definitely some very emotional and sad ones as well... and I have to add... what the hell is Acheron?!? he's kind of like a boss of all dark hunters but what kind of a creature he is exactly?!? seriously, with each book I get more questions about him than answers... :) I am gonna die from curiosity before I will be able to read his book ;)

All in all I absolutely loved this book :) even though some things in the end were resolved pretty quickly, but believe me... there were also some very sad consequences... but as always Sherrilyn Kenyon made me laugh and gasp with shock in all the right places... her characters melted my heart and got under my skin... ;) rather unexpectedly I have to add ;) but I love those kind of surprises the best... when I start the book knowing that I will probably like it, because I love the author, but I'm not sure about this particular story and / or main characters... and then BAM ;) I fall in love out of nowhere :) cause that was the case this time and I hope it's not the last time this kind of thing will happen to me ;)

I picked a few quotes for you, but believe me... there is much more in the actual book... cause I had to restricted myself from putting more here... after all I want you to have a few beautiful surprises along the way... ;)

One of the first conversations between Tabitha and Valerius ;) Tabitha first
"'Your clothes are at the laundry. They'll deliver them as soon as they're ready.'
'And in the meantime?'
'Looks like you're naked.'
His jaw worked as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. 'I beg your pardon?'
'Beg all you want, you're still going to be naked.' Tabitha paused at the wicked image in her mind. 'Come to think of it, a gorgeous, begging, naked man... that's the stuff of fantasies. Begging won't get you your clothes, but it could get you something else.' She wiggled her eyebrows at him."

Part of a conversation between Valerius and Acheron ;)
"'Relax,' Acheron said with a yawn. 'You're in good hands. Tabby won't hurt you.'
'She stabbed me!'
'Damn,' Ash said. 'I told her not to stab any more Hunters. I hate it when she does that.'
'You hate it? I'm the one with the festering wound.'
'Really?' Acheron asked. 'I've never known a Dark-Hunter to have a festering wound before. At least not externally.'
Valerius clenched his teeth at his misplaced humor. 'I do not find you amusing, Acheron.'
'Yeah, I know. But look on the bright side: You're the third Dark-Hunter she's nailed so far. She kind of gets a little carried away sometimes.'"

Part of another conversation between our main couple ;)
"Tabitha checked her watch. It was almost ten. 'I don't know about you, but I'm famished. Want to go grab a bite?'
Valerius gave her an amused stare. 'You have to be the only woman alive who would ask a man with fangs that question.'
She laughed. 'You're probably right. So would you like to join me?'"

And another one with Tabitha and Valerius :)
"'What are you doing?' he asked.
Suddenly Elvis filled the air with 'Can't help falling in love'. She turned the volume low before she came back to him and pulled him into her arms.
'Tabitha?'
'Dance with me, Val. Everyone should have at least one night of naked dancing in their lives.'
'I don't dance.'
'Everyone dances to Elvis.'"

And the last one with them ;) 
"She wrapped her arm around him and gave a light squeeze.
'What are you doing?' he asked.
'I'm standing beside you so that Zarek won't whack you again with another lightning bolt. You said he wouldn't hurt innocent people, right?'
'Yes.'
She smiled at him. 'Call me Shield.'
Valerius smiled in spite of himself as he placed a hand on her forearm. 'You're such a strange woman.'
'Yeah, but I'm growing on you, aren't I?'
'Yes, you are.'
Her smile widened. 'Fungus are us. Next thing you know, you'll actually like me.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment