Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Review: "A court of thorns and roses" by Sarah J. Maas


Author: Sarah J. Maas
Book 1 in series A court of thorns and roses
Main character: Feyre

This book... was... just... <sighs dreamily> ;) it was everything I needed right now :) an amazing story with captivating characters and writing style that pulled me in from the very first chapter... :) it reminded me why I love fantasy stories and that I need to read them more often... :) and I am extremely happy that I read it now and not when it first came out last year, cause the sequel is just around the corner... ;) but on the other hand, then I will have to wait another year for the conclusion to this trilogy... damn, maybe I should have waited a bit longer... ;) oh who are we kidding... ;) it was time for me to read this book and there was no stopping me... ;) so let me tell you a bit more about this whole series and world in general ;) but don't worry, in a few details, so you'll get your surprises if you haven't read it yet :)

So we have this world where we have both humans and fairies living in :) a few hundreds years ago there was a war between them, that ended up with a peace treaty, dividing this world, so the humans can live in the south, and fairies in the north, in a place called Prythian, separated from each other with a wall... there are of course much more details surrounding that whole situation and all the rules, but I just wanted to give you a gist, and let you discover the rest on your own :) our main character, Feyre, kills a fairy on one of her hunting trips and as a punishment she needs to choose between death or leaving everyone and everything to go and live in Prythian... :) so off she goes with Tamlin to that mysterious land that humans know so little about... :) now that we have this few details out of the way, let me tell you more about the characters in this book :)

Ok, so first of all, even though Feyre is definitely the main character in this story, there are many more interesting people and fairies in it... :) unfortunately I will not be able to share too many details or my thoughts and impressions about them, because of all the spoilers I would have to say to explain why I feel a certain way :) but I will try to say as much as I can :) so Feyre is a young woman, around 19, who basically took care of her father and two older sisters... again, there is more to that story, but I don't want to spoil you everything before you even open the book ;) she's brave and sassy, sometimes even a little bit cheeky and making some not very smart decisions, but I still really liked her :) then we have Tamlin, one of the mysterious fairies... and to be honest, I have to say that even though I have nothing against him and his slowly building relationship with Feyre... in fact I liked him very much... :) it was someone else who stole my heart and attention in this book... ;) but I will get to him in a moment :) back to Tamlin :) he has his own secrets and troubles weighing on his shoulders... that I can't get into here... damn... :) there are so many things going through my mind right now, and for most of them I'm like "you can't write that... that either... maybe this... no, you discovered it way too far in the book to write about..." and so on :) but I can say that I also loved Lucien, Tamlin's friend :) he's a bit snarky, with a story of his own and I certainly hope that we will get to know even more about him in later books... and then there is Rhys... <sighs> he is the one who has my heart... :) he is this dark, mysterious character with a past of his own... don't get me wrong, I am totally aware of the fact that he's not this squeeky-clean "good guy" ;) but with his flaws, I love how interesting he is... and I'm dying with the need to explain more about him, but again... spoilers :) I can't wait to read more about him and see where the story will take us in the second book... especially after some events in this one ;)

Believe me, there are so many things that I would love to tell you :) especially since this book gave me a lot of vibes similar to another series that I love... :) but I can't say which one, cause it would be too much of a spoiler about where I think this whole story might be heading :) I think I will write more in my review of the second book, once I read it of course :) we'll see if my assumptions were correct :) but what I can say, is that I loved this book :) it was my first dive into Sarah J. Maas and her writing style and I will definitely be coming back for more :) it's a very clever retelling of "Beauty and the beast" which is only like my favourite fairy tale ever, so my expectations very pretty high :) and what I loved the most is that, in my opinion, there is no easy and obvious division as to who is "the beauty" and who is "the beast"... :) or to be more specific, I think that the characteristics of those two figures, can be attributed to more that one person in the book :) the first half of the story is an introduction to the world and most of the characters... it's this slow building relationship... and I thoroughly enjoyed it... :) but it's the second half that made me gasping in surprise and turning page after page because I just needed to know how everything will end :) this story reminded me why I love fantasy books, retellings especially, and inspired me to add more of them into my reading habits from now on :) because these types of stories are the best way to escape from the reality ;) so if you haven't tried it out yet, be sure to do it soon... you won't regret it :)

XOXO

A    

No comments:

Post a Comment