Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Review: "Play" by Kylie Scott


Author: Kylie Scott
Title: "Play"
Book 2 in series Stage Dive
Main characters: Malcolm "Mal" Ericson and Anne Rollins

People... this book... I just can't... :) it was sooooo AWESOME :) I mean, I absolutely loved the first one in this series but this one... <sigh> it was even better :) not to mention super hilarious :) I was smiling, giggling and straight up keeling over from laughter throughout almost the entire book... and I say almost, because there definitely were some very serious and sad moments near the end of this story... but my most common reaction was laughter... :) and do you want to know the main reason behind that? ;) if so, let me tell you more about...

Mal :) ok, I already loved him in the previous book, cause you could saw before that he's this super funny, happy-go-lucky kind of a guy :) and in his own book he's even more like that :) and the fact that with his long-ish blond hair, tall, ripped and lean body, he totally has this viking theme going on... let me tell you... it definitely doesn't hurt either ;) but say what you want, it's actually his unpredictable mind that I love the most :) he says the most ridiculous things and I love it :) you never know what's gonna come out of his mouth next :) he's the drummer in the hugely popular Stage Dive band and if you think that means he's good with his hands... you are very correct ;) and of course we can't forget about Anne :) and the fact that she and I share the same name does not affect my love for her at all... :) ok, maybe just a little bit ;) she's this sweet and amazing person, which is even more impressive once you learn more about her past... but it happens near the end of the book, so I can't write about that here :) she often helps people, and sometimes gets into trouble because of that... it's actually one of the times when she's in trouble after helping someone who didn't deserve it, that she gets swept away into the hurricane that is Mal ;) let me tell you more about that... ;)

The book starts when Anne comes home to half empty apartment, her roommate and friend disappeared with all her stuff not returning the money that Anne lent to her when she had troubles... not cool... so now she's in financial troubles herself... then her neighbour, Lauren... more about her in a moment, invites her to a party hosted by her sister and wife of a rock star ;) again, I will explain who's who in a second :) that is where she meets Mal :) he overheards her conversation about the financial troubles and comes up with the perfect solution :) he's in need of a good, fake girlfriend :) there are some serious reasons why he truly wants one, but they are disclosed near the end of the book, so I'm not gonna spoil them to you now... but throughout the story you can start to guess what they can be and it's not good... but back to the good stuff :) the next day he just moves in with her, because it's such a good idea... ;) and that's pretty much it :) and by that I mean it's the only thing I can tell you about, but believe me, their interactions are hilarious... and then a bit emotional... but funny, hilarious and all other similar adjectives are the best to describe them and this book alltogether :) mostly because Mal is totally unpredictable :) but I also love how Anne just kind of goes with the flow with all of that :)

And now about that secondary characters, so you can know who I'm talking about :) first of all there's David and Ev, couple from the first book :) he's the lead guitarist in the band and she works in a coffee shop / and as his assistant ;) next there's Jimmy, David's brother and lead singer of Stage Dive :) he's a recovering addict and his story will come next... :) and we of course can't forget about Lena, his sober companion / assistant... and no, that is not a coincidence that I'm mentioning her name right after Jimmy... <wink wink> :) and of course we have Ben, bass player and the last member of the band :) then we also have Lauren, who I mentioned before :) she's Anne's neighbour and Ev's sister :) and Lizzy, Anne's younger sister :) and I can't believe I almost forgot to mention Reece... :) he's Anne's boss and friend :) she has a crush on him at the beginning of the book :) there are of course more people, but I simply cannot mention them all :) these are the main players in the background that you need to know about ;)

My sister definitely knows me well, cause after finishing the whole series, she told me that this one will be my favourite :) and she was sooooo right ;) don't get me wrong, all of the books are amazing, but we all have our personal preferences when it comes to picking favourite story or characters... :) and this one is definitely mine :) this book has, like all of them, a fantastic writing style :) which is even more impressive with Mal and his unpredictable and charming as hell talking-whatever-the-hell-he-wants :) I absolutely loved the main couple in this story, but all of the secondary characters were written great as well :) it was hilarious and emotional and funny and sexy and did I mentioned hilarious? ;) I read it so quickly, that I think a re-read is needed to make sure if all of my impressions were correct ;) and even though technically it can be read as a standalone, I would recommend you to read this series in order, to see the changes in the characters... plus, they are all really great, so it's not like it's gonna be a chore... ;)

I have a few quotes for you today people :) I would definitely put more, but I can't just quote whole chapters here ;) so this is just a little glimpse into all the hilarious and unpredictable awesomeness that awaits you in the actual book :) happy reading :)

Part of a conversation between Anne and Reece ;)
"'Stay with me. You can crash on my sofa.'
'That's sweet of you.' I tried to laugh, but the noise that came out was more of a strangled cough. My situation sucked too much for humor. Me sleeping on Reece's couch while he went hard at it in the next room with some stranger. No. Not happening. As it was, I felt small and stupid for letting Skye play me. Bearing witness to Reece's oh-so-active sex life would be too much.
'Thanks, Reece. But I'm pretty sure you've done unspeakable things to many, many people on that couch. I'm not sure anyone could sleep there.'
'You think it's haunted by the ghosts of coitus past?'
'It wouldn't surprise me.'"

Part of the first conversation between Mal and Anne ;)
"'I'm Mal,' he said.
'I... I know,' I stuttered.
His smirk heightened. 'I know you know.'
Huh. I kept my mouth shut.
'Sounds like someone had a bad day.'
Nope, I still had nothing. A brain-dead stare was the best I could do."

And a part of that same conversation just a few minutes later ;)
"'Your cheeks have gone all rosy. Are you thinking rude thoughts about me, Anne?'
'No.'
'Liar,' he taunted in a soft voice. 'You're totally thinking of me with no pants on.'
I totally was.
'That's just gross, dude. A massive invasion of my privacy.' He leaned in closer, his breath warming my ear. 'Whatever you're imagining, it's bigger.'
'I'm not imagining anything.'
'I'm serious. It's basically a monster. I cannot control it.'
'Malcolm...'
'You're pretty much going to need a whip and chair to tame it, Anne.'"

And again Mal and Anne discussing the deal ;)
"'Let's look at it this way. You need money, right?'
I hesitated, but it was the truth. We both knew it. 'Right.'
'I need something too.'
My eyes narrowed. If he started yelling about sexual heeling again, I'd throw him out, cool furniture, drum kit, and all. Or I'd lick him all over. With my current confusion and stress levels, chances were fifty/fifty. An opportunity to throw myself at him might just be too good to miss. After all, how many more chances would I get? My luck had to run out eventually."

The same conversation a bit later ;)
"I tried to find my calm. Why had I never made time for yoga? Deep breathing exercises would have been so useful. When I opened my eyes, Mal smiled back at me serenely. The arrogant jerk. So confident. So hot. And so damn shirtless. What was with that? It was fall in Portland, cool weather, raining on and off. Normal people wore clothes this time of year.
'Can you put a shirt on?'
He scratched at his chin. 'Mmm, no. That's my boundary, sorry, I like your sexy looks too much to get dressed.'
Crap, was I making crazy eyes?
'You're perfect,' he muttered, smirk firmly in place.
Damn it, I was."

And the last one with Anne and Mall a bit further down the road ;)
"He leaned down, getting in close. 'Look at me; I am totally serious. You're not drunky Anne today, you know what you're doing, and I feel like fucking. Let's renegotiate. This agreement is no longer working for me. I wanna talk to my lawyer!'
'Oh, you feel like fucking?'
'Well, yeah. I'm not used to going more than a day or two. It's making me antsy.' He did a little jig on the spot to demonstrate. 'I don't like it. C'mon, Anne. Help a friend out. It'll be good.'
'Hands down, that's the most romantic thing I've ever heard. I can prety much feel my legs just falling wide open for you right now.'"

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment