Sunday, January 3, 2016

Review: "Dance with the devil" by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Book 3 in series Dark hunter
Main characters: Zarek and Astrid

This one really broke my heart... don't worry, it has a happy ending, but... you know, it's right there in the title of the series... you don't become a dark hunter after living a happy and long life... but sometimes... one of their stories will really get under your skin... like this one... and yes, I know these are all fictional characters, but what fun would it be to read if we didn't care about the people we read about... :) so I am really happy that after everything he went through and everything he had to endure... there was this beautiful happy ending waiting for him in the end... :)

Zarek was a slave his whole human life... after he became a dark hunter he was a recluse and then he was banished to Alaska for 900 years after... well, I can't really say why, because it's something we learn a bit later in the book... not to mention that there is a much bigger story about it than you think... so he acts like a wounded wild animal... lashing out at others... but he doesn't really know how to act differently... but there is another side of him, that he hides from everyone... a side that can quote "The little prince" and carve wooden figurines... Astrid is a justice nymph, daughter of Themida sent to judge Zarek and decide if he should be executed... she has two weeks to make that decision... and so she can be impartial, she's temporarily blind when she does it...

The more I read about him... the more I got to know his story through flashbacks and dreams... the more my heart ached for him... I just wanted to reach inside the book and just hug him... all of his life... punishment after punishment... betrayal after betrayal... one horrible thing after another... he acts like a wounded animal, lashing out and growling at everyone because he was treated like one, or worse, his entire life... he deserved someone like Astrid to see through all of that and show him something else... and even though she heard horrible things about him and how he acts, he's not like that towards her... don't get me wrong, he's not sunshine-and-rainbows kind of nice, but he's protective and good in his own way... and I truly loved to see the change in him... because the more he spent time with her, the more it was visible... that there is so much more than just anger and resentment inside of him... that he truly is capable of so much more... and he deserve so much more than life gave him thus far...

Beside the relationship between them there is much more going on... people wanting to kill him... rogue people wanting to kill him... and the truth about what really happened 900 years ago... believe me, there is A LOT going on ;) and as always Sherrilyn Kenyon has a few surprising turns and twists for us that will keep you at the edge of your seat when you read this book ;) but don't worry, even if this would be your first dive into this world, she writes all her books in a way that they can be read as standalones... you always have enough informations to follow up the story and characters, but as always, I encourage you to read them in order, because that's the best way to truly appreciate all those little moments in books with some other characters ;) not to mention the fact that throughout the whole series we get to know more about certain characters that have their own book along the way ;)

Again, like with other books in that series, we get to see more characters than just the main couple...;) not to mention that Zarek has a big connection to another dark hunter... but I can't tell you which one, so you can be surprised while you read just as I was ;) we also get to know a little bit more about Acheron... and if this will continue I will die of curiosity before I reach his book... ;) but a certain demon stole my heart... Simi, Acheron's companion... she is unique, and funny and I can't wait to read more about her... ;) and of course there's also Astrid's family... and they are... very original... ;) not to mention powerful ;) and those kind of interactions are always fun to read ;) 

To be totally honest, Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of my favourite authors, and I love her style of writing and the way she creates characters and stories... not to mention the sarcastic humor :) although in this book there was a bit less of it, for obvious reasons... but her books are always a fantastic read for me... I know that it might not be true for some of you, but it works for me ;) plus, she has the most amazing website for readers I have ever seen :) it's full of additional informations about characters, pictures, book trailers and all other amazing news, so be sure to check it out :)

I have only a few quotes for you, because Zarek doesn't say much, and when he does, it's not very nice... at least not in the beginning... ;) but I managed to find something that will show you why you should absolutely read this book...

One of the first conversations between Astrid and Zarek
"'Are you up?' the unknown woman asked, her voice surprised. 'Dressing?'
'No,' he said irritably. 'I'm pissing on your rag. What do you think I'm doing?'
'I'm blind. For all I know you really are peeing on my rag, which is a very nice rag incidentally, so I hope you're kidding.'"

And another one between them, a little bit farther down the road... ;) Astrid first
"'Would you like to join me?'
'I think I'd look strange in a bikini.'
She laughed at him. 'Was that a joke? Can it be you made a real joke?'
'Yeah, I must be possessed or something.'"

Something to prove to you, that there is so much more in Zarek... something he says in one of the dreams... <sigh>
"I have found my star. She is beauty and grace. Elegance and goodness. My laughter in winter. She is courageous and strong. Bold and tempting. Unlike any other in all the universe, and I cannot touch her. I dare not even try. Astrid or Aphrodite, she is my Circe. Only instead of changing a man into an animal she has made the animal human."

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment