Saturday, December 5, 2015

Review: "Tempt me at twilight" by Lisa Kleypas


Author: Lisa Kleypas
Book 3 in series The Hathaways
Main characters: Jay Harry Rutledge and Poppy Hathaway

I was absolutely charmed by Lisa Kleypas after I read her Wallflowers series... so I was cautious before reading anything else written by her, because I was afraid that it wouldn't quite repeat the magical experience of that first amazing series... but here I am, three books into another one of her series and I am completely in love with the Hathaways... this family absolutely stole my heart, and the more I know about them the bigger my love for them is... :)

This particular book tells the story of Poppy Hathaway, perhaps the most normal of all her siblings... :) she's very smart and has troubles with silly talks about nothing... that may be the reason why after three seasons in London she's still not married... she longs for a partner... to start a family... and for a life without the drama and unusual events that tends to surround her family ;) on the other hand we have Harry... a mysterious hotel owner and inventor... a man of money and power... but most of all, a man full of secrets... he may be my favourite hero in this series... he definitely is so far... :) don't get me wrong, I adored Merripen and I absolutely loved Cam, but Harry... <sigh> maybe it's the fact that he calls Poppy "love"... and it's my favourite term of endearment... :) cause I usually prefer charmers... smooth-talking and flirting rakes... ;) do not be mistaken, when he wants, Harry definitely has a way with words... and those moments are so worth the wait... :) there was just something about him... I can't quite put my finger on it... ;) there was something about him that resonated with me... he's a man with a past, extremely smart... not to mention relentless when he wants something... or someone... ;)

Their relationship is different than what we might be used to from previous books ;) for starters, she's in love with someone else... although to be honest I should say that she thinks she's in love with someone else, cause I would call it an infatuation... sure, it could have grown into something more, but there's a reason why she didn't end up with that other guy... :) Poppy and Harry met in, believe it or not, one of secret passageways in the hotel, that Poppy accidently finds when she's chasing a pet ferret that belongs to her younger sister, Beatrix ;) I kid you not :) he very quickly realizes how interesting, fascinating and unique Poppy is... and just as fast he knows that he wants her... :) and although it's hard for me to approve of some of his methods... it does involve a lot of meddling in other people lives... I can't help but forgive him for it... he's very determined, and used to get his own way... :) but those exact reasons are what make changes in him in later parts of the book so beautiful... they have kind of a rocky start, to say the least, but it evolves in a lovely way into something more... and to see how that affects him... how Poppy changes him... is absolutely amazing... :) you might even say that there is something like "Beauty and the beast" in this story... although, to be honest I am ashamed to admit (cause it's my favourite fairy tale of all time), that I didn't think of it on my own... ;) it was J, my sister, who pointed it out for me :) so thank you for that ;)

Besides the main couple, we see of course the rest of the lovely, a bit crazy and definitely unconventional Hathaway family... they are still as charming as ever and I love them with each book more and more... ;) we also meet new characters, mostly hotel employees :) and they are a colorful and entertaining bunch of people... :) I can add, that there is a mysterious connection between Harry and a character that we already know... dun dun duuuunnnnn.... ;) don't worry, it's nothing bad or scary ;) not to mention that the very ending of this one makes you very curious about the next one ;)

I absolutely loved this story... it's different, they have to conquer some obstacles to be together and to become a truly happy marriage, but it's an absolutely charming story... I finished it much quicker that I anticipated, and I believe it's because Harry put a spell on me... ;) I wanted to know more about him, so I kept saying "one more chapter" over and over again... and when I finally discovered some of his secrets...? <sigh> I loved him even more... ;) once again Lisa Kleypas proved that her style of writing is flawless... :) not only she writes characters that feel so real I want to pull them out of the book, she keeps surprising me... I swear, there wasn't one book, when I didn't gasped in shock at some turn of events... :) not to mention the witty banter and double meanings... :) subtle, but at the same time, sexy as hell seduction... ;) it's all there wrapped in one amazing package with a story that will keep you turning pages, no matter paper or e-books, because you just have to know what's gonna happen next... :)

I have for you a few quotes from this amazing book, but there are much more waiting for you in the actual book :) happy reading :)

When Poppy and Harry first meet ;)
"The stranger contemplated her for a moment. 'Shall I send for a housemaid to accompany you?'
Poppy's first inclination was to agree. But she didn't want to wait here with him, even for a few minutes. She didn't trust him in the least.
As he saw her indecision, his mouth twisted sardonically. 'If I were going to molest you,' he pointed out, 'I would have done so by now.'
Her flush deepened at his bluntness. 'So you say. But for all I know, you could be a very slow molester.'"

When Harry shows her a clockwork mechanism ;)
"'Remarkable!' in her enthusiasm, Poppy forgot to be guarded or cautious. 'Obviously Mr. Rutledge is mechanically gifted. This brings to mind a biography I read recently, about Roger Bacon, a Franciscan friar of the Middle Ages. My father was a great admirer of his work. Friar Bacon did a great deal of mechanical experimentation, which of course led some people to accuse him of sorcery. It was said that he once built a mechanical bronze head, which...' Poppy stopped abruptly, realizing she had been chattering. 'There, you see? This is what I do at balls and soirees. It's one of the reasons I'm not sought after.'
He had begun to smile. 'I thought talking was encouraged at such affairs.'
'Not my sort of talking.'"

When Poppy wants to confess something to Beatrix, her younger sister :)
"'First promise you won't tell anyone.'
'I promise promise.'
'Swear on something.'
'I swear on St. Francis, the patron saint of animals.' Seeing Poppy's hesitation, Beatrix added enthusiastically, 'If a band of pirates kidnapped me and took me to their ship and threatened to make me walk the plank over a shiver of starving sharks unless I told them your secret, I still wouldn't tell it. If I were tied by a villain and thrown before a herd of stampeding horses all shod in iron, and the only way to keep from being trampled was to tell the villain your secret, I...'
'All right, you've convinced me,' Poppy said with a grin."

Harry's brilliant response to Poppy :)
"'Mr. Rutledge, please don't take this as an affront, but you don't have the qualities I seek in a husband.'
'How do you know? I have some excellent qualities you haven't even seen yet.'"

And a little something between Poppy and Harry after a kiss ;)
"'Poppy stumbled, her knees astonishingly weak. Harry grabbed her in a swift reflex, pulling her back against him. 'Easy.' She heard him laugh softly. 'My fault. I shouldn't have kissed you like that.'
'You're right,' she said, her sense of humor tentatively reasserting itself. 'I should give you a set-down... slap you or something... what is the usual response from ladies you've taken liberties with?'
'They encourage me to do it again?' Harry suggested in such a helpful manner that Poppy couldn't help smiling."

Poppy and Harry when they discuss marriage :) at least his honest ;)
"'Are you trying to bribe me Harry?'
'Yes. Is it working?'
His hopeful tone made her smile. 'No, although it was a very good effort.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment