Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Review: "Night embrace" by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Book 2 in series Dark hunter
Main characters: Talon and Sunshine

This is the perfect example of my practically unconditional love for Sherrilyn Kenyon... ;) because usually I really don't like books that have this reincarnation sort of vibe... and when I read a few chapters and it was mentioned that he feels there is something familiar in her... I knew it would go in the direction she's-got-some-part-of-his-dead-wife-in-her... and I was right about that... ;) and it still was a good book :) if that's not love then I don't know how else to describe it ;)

Talon is a celtic chieftain (or, you know, he was one before) with a coffee addiction and very cool tattoos, who got everyone he loved and cared in the world murdered... before someone murdered him as a sacrifice for gods... but you don't get to become a dark hunter if you're a happy person who lived a long life... he buried his emotions centuries ago and usually is the calm one in dangerous situations... that of course changes when he meets Sunshine... ;) she's this artistic, kind of a crazy type... ;) she's forgetful, her mind goes from one thing to another within the matter of seconds and without a logical connection whatsoever... ;) they are truly like night and day... :)

The romance between them heats up pretty quickly... I mean they do sleep together the same day they meet... not to mention that she agrees to go with him to his place when she barely knows him... I get that it's not your typical situation with all the world-ending-and-people-and-gods-wanting-to-kill-you stuff, but... come on... and it still didn't bothered me as much as it would in other books ;) I really think that it's because of her writing style... :) I really love it, therefore even stories about characters that may not be at the top of my all time favourites, are very enjoyable ;)

We also get to know more about other hunters in this book... and I have to say... I still have no idea how she will turn some of them around, because at this point I don't know how I'm gonna root for happy endings for a few of them ;) not to mention that you never know who will turn out to not be as bad as you thought... ;) but what I loved the most about secondary characters is that we get to see Nick again, my favourite sarcastic squire, and Acheron, the boss... ;) and there are another little bits and pieces about him that makes me that much more curious about everything else about him... I so need to read his book but it's still very far away... ;)

Besides the romance story between the main couple, there is a much bigger plot in this book... we have gods conspiring to take over the world and all that... ;) not to mention that unleashing The Destroyer onto the world does sound ominous... ;) but all of that stuff, plus all of the up-and-down with the main couple is resolved in the book, so you'll have the answers for your most burning questions ;)

I had two sides inside of me, warring against each other a bit, while I was reading this book... :) because I didn't really like main characters... it's especially not my type of heroine... but her style of writing always gets to me... in a good way, so even if it wasn't my favourite book I still enjoyed it very much :) so don't be discouraged... I'm sure there are tons of people who will declare this story as their favourite one... ;) and before I forget, if you haven't been on the official website of Sherrilyn Kenyon, you guys are missing out... there are tons of super fun bonus informations, photos, descriptions... :) I think it might be the best author's website I have ever seen :)

And now a few quotes for you guys :) so you can see at least a few reasons why I love the interactions between characters and the sarcastic humor ;)

This is actually a surprising reason why I can relate to Sunshine ;)
"It was one of those nights. The kind that made Sunshine Runningwolf wonder why she bothered leaving her loft. 'How many times can a person get lost in a city she's lived the whole of her life?' The number seemed to be infinite."

Why I love sarcastic Nick ;)
"After Zarek stalked off, Nick grimaced. 'I know,' he said to Acheron. '<Nick, go after psychoass and show him where he lives.> But might I point out that in doing this, I should qualify for hazard pay?'
Acheron arched a brow. 'Might I point out that staying here with me is far more hazardous to your health?'
Nick feigned surprise. 'What? Am I still here? Oh no, sorry, thought I'd left ten minutes ago.'"

Part of the conversation between Talon and Sunshine :)
"'Tell Swamp Breath I was headed this way. Why was she...' Sunshine stopped and looked at him. 'Oh jeez, am I really having a conversation with a gator?'
He grinned. 'It's all right. I do it all the time.'
'Yes, but no offense, you're kind of weird.'
If that wasn't the pot calling kettle black..."

And just one more with Nick ;) but can you really blame me? ;)
"Nick walked out the door, past the Katagaria, mumbling all the while '<Nick, fetch my car, fetch my clothes, sweep the chimney, make my bed, watch my psychopath, fetch me slippers.> Yeah. I'll fetch those slippers and stick them someplace real uncomfortable.' Just when Talon thought he was through, he heard one last parting comment. 'I swear, my mother should have named me Fido.'"

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment