Saturday, October 24, 2015

Review: "A wallflower christmas" by Lisa Kleypas


Author: Lisa Kleypas
Book 5 in series Wallflowers
Main characters: Rafe Bowman and Hannah Appleton

I count this book as one, big epilogue to this lovely and charming series... :) because not only we get a glimpse into the lives of all our beloved couples, see what our original wallflowers have been up to... ;) we also get a beautiful romance as a bonus :) and knowing Lisa Kleypas, it is written as usual with style, and is full of witty banter, scenes that will make you laugh out loud, and "aaawww..." moments... ;)

Rafe is the oldest brother of Lillian and Daisy... he's very outspoken, a bit of a charmer... ok, maybe even more than just a bit... :) and a rake ;) he arrives in England for an arranged meeting with a possible wife, Natalie... but that girl is not our heroine... ;) I know, it was a bit of a surprise to me too... ;) Hannah is actually the companion of the girl who they want him to marry :) she's very smart... and all in all lovely :) he's not like other men that she is used to, so at first it's a bit of a clash of characters... ;) but you know... those kind of stories are always such a delight to read... :) 

This book takes place a few months after the events from the previous one... and it's really hard to write more without spoilers :) I feel safe to say that, as the title suggests, this book takes place around christmas time :) and it's a bit shorter than the usual full lenght book... but the story is absolutely beautiful, so don't worry it doesn't feel rushed at all... :) and that's about it... I can't tell you more... :) ok, I was just kidding... ;) but only a little bit ;)

As I said before, we have a beautiful, sort of accidental courtship, between unexpected characters... :) and what a lovely story it is... :) of course I won't spoil you any cute details, but let me just say... that the story and the scene with a toy soldier... <sigh> you'll understand when you read the book... :) besides all of this romantic and swoon-worthy scenes, their story, as well as the rest of the book, is surprisingly full of moments that made me laugh out loud... :) Rafe is such an unabashed charmer... he's one of my top favourite characters in this series ;) not to mention that all of the original wallflowers are back... at least for a scene or two... :) and there is one particular scene I have in mind, that I absolutely could not quote for you here, because it will be more fun for you when you discover it on your own... I'm just gonna say, that it's a scene when Hannah takes advice from the wallflowers... believe me, you'll know that it's the one I'm talking about when you read it ;)

I absolutely adored this book... not only the romance between the main couple, which was absolutely adorable... but I also loved all the little scenes with our beloved wallflowers and their husbands... they were beautiful and made me want to read their stories all over again :) but after reading a few books written by lovely Lisa Kleypas I'm starting to expect nothing less than a charming story, amazing characters, great style of writing, witty banter, surprising turn of events and some very hot but classy scenes... ;) and she delivers every time :)

I have for you only a few quotes not because the book was shorter ;) but because even though it was shorter, it was so full of these little gems, that I want you to discover them on your own... so these few are just to get you curious enough to read the actual book... ;)

Why I love Rafe... something he said to Hannah when they first met ;)
"A mischievous whisper tickled her ear. 'This is how we court girls in America. We grab them and kiss them. And if they don't like it, we do it again, harder and longer, until they surrender. It saves us hours of witty repartee.'"

Part of a conversation between Hannah and Natalie :) Natalie first
"'Mr. Bowman is one of the most splendidly formed men I have ever encountered. What flaw could you possibly find in his appearance?'
'His posture,' Hannah muttered.
'What about it?'
'He slouches.'
'He's an American. They all slouch. The weight of their wallets drags them over.'"

Part of a conversation between Rafe and Hannah ;)
"'Good morning to you, too.' He looked her over with an insolently thorough glance. 'Why aren't you still abed?'
'I'm an early riser.' Hannah decided to throw back the audacious inquiry right back at him. 'Why aren't you?'
A playful glint shone in his eyes. 'There's no point in lingering in bed when I'm alone.'"

And yet another reason why I love Rafe ;)
"In a lightning-fast reflex, Bowman grabbed her before she could fall, and pulled her against his solid chest. She felt the flex of powerful muscle beneath his shirt. 'If you wanted me to hold you,' he murmured in a teasing undertone, 'you should have just asked.'
'Rafe Bowman,' Daisy Swift admonished playfully, 'are you resorting to tripping women to gain their attention?'
'When my more subtle efforts fail, yes.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment