Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Review: "Secrets at midnight" by Nalini Singh


Author: Nalini Singh
Title: "Secrets at midnight in "Night shift" anthology
Book 12,5 in series Psy-changeling 
Main characters: Bastien Smith and Kirby Rosario

This is a novella that I actually read some time ago... so why it's not posted as a flashback review, you ask? ;) because alongside the novella about Annie and Zach "Stroke of enticement" this one is my favourite novella in this world :) so I actually re-read it already a couple of times... and I recently needed a little dose of that world, so I re-read it again ;) and because of that the story is very fresh in my mind, so I decided to write you a little review :)

You may or may not already know, that Nalini Singh is my favourite author... and that decision was not made lightly, because I read tons of books and loooove a lot of authors and series, but... she has this style of writing and creating characters that resonates with me... :) and I love each and every one of her books :) so each new creation is a must have for me :) and it wasn't different with this story :) especially since I love Bastien's sister, Mercy, who already got her book :) plus I'm a total sucker for DarkRiver cats, so every book that includes them as main characters got already + 10 points even before I start to read it ;)

I can't really say much about the story without spoiling too much details, so let me just say that it's about Bastien, a DarkRiver leopard and Kirby, a new kindergarten teacher in the city :) he actually recognizes that she's his mate, but can't find her at first :) which is very unusual, but there is a very good reason for it... that I of course can't tell you without major spoilers :) novella is very sweet and I truly adore it :) every time I read it, I get a little teary eyed... :) even though it's not a full lenght book, you do not feel that the story is rushed... so you are definitely not disappointed when it ends... ok, maybe a little, but it's because it's sooo good, that you would love to read more... ;) but I get that feeling every time I read her books :) even if they would be 1 000 pages long, I would want more ;)

It's a perfect addition to this series... although you could probably read is as a standalone too :) it shows the vibe of that world very good, so it's a perfect way for you to check if you would be interested in other books from that series... :) if you don't know the characters you may miss some jokes and deeper interactions between people, but it's totally understandable even if you are not familiar with the world :) so if it's your first dive into this author and/or this world or you are a longtime fan, it's a story definitely worth reading ;)

Before I go to the quotes, that you have to thank my sister J for :) I just wanted to add something :) I recently discovered that you can't see info about my fb page if you read my blog on your mobile device, so I figured I'm gonna mention it from time to time inside a review... this is one of those times ;) so be sure to check out my official fb page and show some love to your quirky book dealer ;) and now enjoy the quotes... ;) there are much more of those in the books, but I didn't want to post anything too spoilerific... ;)

After the very first lines of the story you know it's gonna be fun ;)
"Bastien Smith knew he'd been suckered. By his own mother no less. The only thing that might make it bearable was if Sage had been suckered too. 'Tell me you didn't know,' he said to his younger brother through gritted teeth, both of them propping up the wall nearest the door and an escape they couldn't make.
Eyes narrowing, Sage folded his arms. 'Are you accusing me of breaking the bro code?'"

This one suits all DarkRiver cats... ;)
"Snorting, Vera jerked her head at Kirby. 'This is Bastien. Don't let him charm you - next thing you know, you'll be naked.'"

Why I love Bastien... :)
"'Your mother loves you.' Vera glared at Bastien. 'You're in fine form, prime of your life, you should find a girl before you get old and crinkly.'
'Gee, thanks Vera. I was hoping I had a few more years yet.'"

Ok, this is the real reason why I love him... ;)
"'Eat. I want you healthy for all the debauched things I plan to talk you into later tonight.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment