Friday, September 25, 2015

Review: "Fantasy lover" by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Companion novel / prequel in series Dark hunter
Main characters: Julian and Grace Alexander

First of all, let me explain this whole companion / prequel stuff :) when I say Dark hunter series I mean the whole Dark hunterverse... including dark hunters, were hunters, dream hunters and so on... :) I count this book as a prequel to this series, because even though there aren't any actual dark hunters in it, some of the future characters are mentioned... and some of them even appear in person :) plus it's a really good way to start this journey with gods, myths and legends... :) and if you want more informations, be sure to check out official website of Sherrilyn Kenyon :) because... and I can't say that enough... it is the best website of an author I have ever seen :) full of additional informations, book trailers, pictures and many more... ;)

Now about the book itself... :) please do not be discouraged from reading by this whole "sex slave emerging from a book" stuff... well... he WAS a sex slave for 2 000 years... and he DID emerge from the book, but the actual story is so much better than that description... :) you have to take my word for it ;) besides, don't we all have that one book, or one series, that no matter how hard we try to describe it, it still sounds pretty ridiculous... until someone reads it and then discovers we were right the whole time...? :) so bear with me, because there's no better way to say that he was a sex slave for 2000 years and she's a sex therapist :) he was cursed by one of the gods as a punishment and now she has a month to try to help him break it...

Besides a very entertaining main couple... ;) I also really liked Selena, Grace's friend :) it was actually she who found the book and gave it to Grace as a birthday present ;) she is also one of the secondary characters that appear in future books... not to mention that we hear some stuff... and even see some people who will be getting their own books... or to be more exact, already have their own books, since this one was published years ago :) not to mention the gods... I mean... would you imagined Eros / Cupid as a biker? ;) now it will be the first thing that will come to your mind when you hear his name ;)

I liked how the relationship between the main couple started... his punishment lasted more than 2 000 years, and yet she is the first person who treats him like a human being... and actually wants to help him and not use like some sort of toy... and all of that changes him... I swear to you... the scene between them... and particularly the words that comes from him right after "let me tell you what I see..." they totally melted my heart... and no, I won't post them in quotes, because I want you to have your "aaawwww" moment when you read the book ;)

She has this way of writing tortured heroes with hard pasts... and my heart just goes out to them... I'm sure that not all of you will feel the same as me... but I can't help it... I love her books... :) for me, they are the most perfect blend of funny, sexy and heart wrenching stories... I can laugh uncontrollably in one chapter, and then sob in the next one... :) not to mention the cutest epilogues ever... ;)

Her style of writing and telling a story just clicks for me... the characters, the plot... all of that... it just works perfectly for me... we all know that feeling... it's hard to explain... and it can work the other way around... like with me and Christine Feehan books for example... I have nothing against her, and I'm not saying that her books are awful... quite the contrary... I think that they are very good... lots of people love them and buys them immediately after they are released... but it just doesn't work for me... I tried to read two of her series, and... we're just not a good match ;) not like me and Sherrilyn Kenyon :) but that is the beauty of having different opinions and respecting each others choices :) I can share with you my opinions and then you can share with me yours and who knows... maybe each of us can discover some new and exciting books... :)

I have for you a few quotes from the book :) I really love that about her... that even if there are some really sad and/or hard events in a book, there is always a place for a joke or a sarcastic comment to even things out ;)

In the restaurant with Selena and Grace, when they discuss Grace's sex life ;)
"'Why don't you speak a little louder, Lanie?' she whispered. 'I don't think the guys in Canada were able to hear you.'
'Oh, I don't know,' the gorgeous brown-haired waiter said as he stopped by their table. 'They're probably headed south even as we speak.'"

One of Grace's inner conversations ;)
"She couldn't very well let him join her in bed like that.
Sure you could.
No I can't.
Please?
Hush, self, let me think."

A little scene between Grace, Julian and Selena :)
"Grace indicated Julian's clothes with a wave of her hand. 'Look at how he's dressed. You don't bring a Greek god out into public wearing shorts and a tank top two sizes too small. Jeez, Selena, what were you thinking?'
'That it's one hundred and two degrees out, with one hundred and ten percent humidity. I didn't want him to die of heat stroke.'
'Ladies, please,' Julian said, placing himself between them. 'It's far too hot to stand out in the street fighting over something as trivial as my clothing.' He swept a hungry look over Grace, then smiled a smile that could make any woman melt. 'And I'm not a Greek god. I'm just a minor half-deity.'"

When they are shopping and they stop in a lingerie department, quick exchange between Julian and Grace, Julian starts ;)
"'You would be breathtaking in this.'
'I don't know about breathtaking, but I'd definitely be cold.'
'Not for long, you wouldn't.'"

And the last one with Julian and Grace, she starts... does someone need a sarcasm sign? ;)
"'Why are they here?'
'I don't know.'
'Who sent them?'
'I don't know.'
'Well, that's not really helpful.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment