Saturday, September 5, 2015

Review: "Archangel's enigma" by Nalini Singh


Author: Nalini Singh
Book 8 in series Guild hunter 
Main characters: Naasir and Andromeda

I have so many feelings right now... :) but as always I will try to describe them to you as best as I can :) first of all, and it's very hard to explain why I feel that way, cause I didn't know what to expect before I started reading this book, but it was different than I expected... ;) believe me, I know it's a contradiction, but it's the best I can do :) maybe I'm so confused, cause there was so many twists, turns and totally unexpected things happening that I'm still processing everything ;) and to be honest, I was a bit afraid before reading Naasir's story... I was never disappointed before by Nalini and her wonderful ways of telling stories, so it's another mystery to me... ;) but I suspect it's because Naasir is so unique, and I adore him so much, that I wasn't sure if his book will be all that I imagined it would be :) and to sum it up, it was different than I expected, but still a great read :) and the more time passes from finishing the book, the more I fall in love with it :) but don't worry, it will be a totally spoiler free review so even if you haven't read it yet, you can proceed ;)

Now about that main characters... :) I have to start with Naasir... :) I absolutely love him... :) I mean, I loved him even before, but in his own book we finally see more how he thinks, why he does things the way he does... :) he is definitely one of a kind... and yes, we do get answers about what kind of a creature he actually is :) and no, of course I won't spoil that for you before you can read it for yourself :) I think the best word to describe Naasir is "unique"... :) with his silver eyes and hair... ;) not to mention his character... ;) on the one hand he's got this kid curiosity about the world and absolutely entertaining way of thinking... and on the other hand, he's full of this animal, predatory energy... it is a surprising mix and sometimes I still wonder how amazingly it all works together :) and with all his teeth snapping, growling, sniffing people and the way he moves, he's as close to a changeling as anyone else ;) and I definitely don't mind that, since I love her other series :)

Andromeda on the other hand, is a new character... I'm pretty sure about that... :) although knowing Nalini she might have been mentioned in a sentence in one of the books and I just don't remember it :) she's a scholar, learning under Jessamy's wings in the Refuge :) but she, just like Naasir, is more than you think... she's got her own secrets and stories... :) but I think what I love the most about her is the fact that she simply likes and accepts Naasir just the way he is... :) oh, and she took a vow of celibacy... :) I know, I thought the same thing... ;) that Naasir will charm his way into her... heart... ;) but it's resolved in a different way ;)

A very big plus of this book, is that we see again all of our favourite characters... :) Elena, Raphael and his Seven :) Jessamy, Honor and so much more appear in at least a scene or two :) I absolutely adore how people closest to Naasir accepts him just the way he is, it's beautifully shown in this book :) and we meet some new charaters as well... and I have a suspicion that we may have met a future heroine of one of the books... or I really hope that she will get her own story... :) don't worry, you'll know who I'm talking about the moment you meet her ;)

I also wanted to let you know, that there is an Official Archangel's Enigma Discussion Group on facebook, but I warn you... it's really spoilerific, so enter at your own risk ;) preferably after you read the book :) it's gonna be open to the end of september, so you still have time :)

I think the overall vibe of this book is similar to Jason and Mahiya's story :) cause equally important as the romance between the main couple, we have other events that have a huge impact on the world as we know it :) now I feel a bit like someone from infomercials... ;) <in an excited voice> but wait, there's more... ;) for the price of just one book, you not only get a romance story but also a mystery and a hell of a lot answers... ;) I am trying to be as vague as possible, so not to spoil anything, but sprinkle a detail or two, so you're curious enough to read it soon :) how am I doing so far? :) so I'm just gonna add that to this day I smile whenever I remember Naasir muttering "stupid grimoire" ;) and there's a very good story that comes with it... but you'll just have to read the book to be able to smile about that with me ;) but even though I laughed, and got a little teary-eyed at certain moments, and sometimes I was yelling at the book... ;) I think my most popular reaction when I was reading it was gasping in shock or surprise... or both at the same time ;)

This time most of the quotes came from my sister :) so thank you J for your input, as always it's awesome ;)

A little glimpse inside the head of Naasir ;)
"Seven months Naasir had been hunting. Seven months since he'd told Ashwini he was ready to find a mate. Seven months and still his mate hadn't made herself known to him. Didn't she know he was looking for her?"
"Naasir wanted to smell like his mate, he thought with an inward snarl. Why was she hiding from him?"

Part of the conversation between Raphael and Naasir :) which is super ironic when you already know that they will be together... ;)
"'I can't be dragging around a historian. They break.'
'It's your task to make sure she doesn't break, Naasir. Andromeda is our greatest chance of reaching Alexander first.'
'How am I supposed to find my mate if I'm dragging around another woman?'"

Something to show you how he behaves with people close to him :) this time it's Honor :)
"'Naasir! Did you hurt yourself?'
Naasir suddenly realized he might be in trouble. 'No,' he reassured her. 'It was only a short jump.'
'A short jump?' Honor pressed one hand over her heart, her other hand gripping tight at his upper arm, as if she was afraid he'd fall off the balcony. 'You scared me half to death!'
Moving slowly so as not to scare her any more, he wrapped her in his arms and nuzzled his cheek against her hair. 'Don't tell Dmitri,' he whispered."

Part of the conversation between Naasir and Andromeda with a bit of Jessamy :) Andromeda starts
"'You can't do that.'
Wild silver eyes looked at her in utter innocence. 'What?'
'Sniff people.'
Naasir shrugged... and sniffed her, heavy silver strands of his hair brushing her skin. 'Sorry.'
Narrowing her eyes, she pursed her lips. 'You're not sorry in the least.'
Jessamy's gentle laughter filled the air. 'Don't let him tease you, Andromeda. He's an expert at it.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment