Thursday, August 20, 2015

Review: "Secrets of a summer night" by Lisa Kleypas


Author: Lisa Kleypas
Book 1 in series Wallflowers
Main characters: Simon Hunt and Annabelle Peyton

This book was exactly what I needed :) I can't believe I have never come across this amazingly talented author before... how's that even possible? So this is the moment when I express my most humble and yet ecstatic gratitude to Karen who recommended her to me :) thank you soooo much :) we may never met in person but I feel like we're kindred spirits... loving the same books :) so please accept my words and in exchange I can only hope that you will be able to find here some books that will be new to you and will capture your heart as this one did mine :) cause I don't even want to think about the possibility of never reading her books... it's too scary... ;)

So about the main couple... Annabelle is 25, and she's finishing her fourth season in London, so she's not your regular, innocent and shy debutante... it's her last chance to get a husband, cause the situation of her family is very dire... Simon is 33, and doesn't have the title... he's actually the son of a butcher who aquired his vast fortune by himself... he's got this alpha dominant thing going on... ;) they actually met 2 years earlier... and what an encounter it was... ;) but I really loved how the whole situation between them was resolved before the last chapter... like way before... I was actually wondering what can happen after that... the short answer? A lot :) I absolutely adored the chemistry between them and their conversations... both of them sparkling with something more... ;) 

In this book we meet all four ladies who calls themselves "wallflowers" :) they spent many balls together sitting and waiting, and when they finally started talking, they discovered that they like each other and want to help one another :) Annabelle is the most normal lady of the group... although I hate using that word, since it suggests that there's something weird about all of the other girls, and that's not the case... :) but since I can't come up with a better adjective, this one must do :) she knows all the rules of their society, isn't too shy or too outspoken... :) as oppose to the other girls... ;) Lillian and Daisy are american sisters who don't know the rules... and sometimes even if they do, they choose to ignore them ;) they are more direct and outspoken... :) and Evie is very shy with a stutter and a horrible family... I adored all of them from the very first scene... they are all very different, but each and every one of them stole my heart... I can't wait to read their stories... and you're gonna laugh when you remember their first conversation about available and potenatial husbands after you read all of the books ;) plus, who wouldn't love girls who come up with the game Rounders-in-knickers ;)

I have to confess, that I really missed the atmosphere of historical romances... especially if they are written as good as this one :) the witty banter... the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) conversations, glances and more... tempting words filled with double meaning... I actually feel like I should up my vocabulary with more elegant and refine words... maybe I should find a dictionary ;) not to mention that I forgot how sexy, hot and sensual a scene can be even without that many physical details... if you use the right words... and Lisa Kleypas has an amazing ability of creating a scene that will make you blush even without describing every little detail... ;) because believe me when I say that in this book there is much more than just a few kisses stolen in the garden ;)

If you're in a dire need of an enchanting book that will take you away from reality and into a sublime, elegant world full of smart, witty conversations and characters that you'll fall in love from the moment you meet them and will cheer on for them until the very last page, then look no further... cause this series by talented Lisa Kleypas is absolutely all that you need :)

And if you're still hesitating, let me give you a little nudge in the right direction with this few quotes :) and it was very hard for me to choose only seven, cause I wanted to quote whole conversations and chapters ;) and I do realize that seven is a little bit more than a few, but I just couldn't decide which ones to eliminate ;) so just enjoy cause it's not always gonna be like that ;)  

Part of the conversation between Simon and Annabelle in the beginning :)
"'Miss Peyton, if I ever worried about being polite, I'd never get anything I wanted. I merely thought you would enjoy a temporary respite from being a perpetual wallflower. And if this ball follows your usual pattern, my offer to dance is likely the only one you'll get.'
'Such charm,' Annabelle remarked in a tone of mocking wonder. 'Such artful flattery. How could I refuse?'
There was a new alertness in his eyes. 'Then you'll dance with me?'
'No,' she whispered sharply. 'Now go away. Please.'"

Why I love Lillian and her way of thinking ;)
"'Perhaps he's waiting to meet someone. If so, it would hardly do Annabelle any good to go charging forth like a rhino in season.'
'Might you be able to come up with a more flattering metaphor, dear?' Annabelle asked mildly, and Lillian flashed her a grin."

Annabelle and Simon a little farther in the book ;)
"'I didn't think you had a chivalrous side,' she said, her teeth clicking as another chill shook her. 'I th-thought you were a complete scoundrel.'
'I don't know how people get such ideas about me,' he replied, glancing down at her with a teasing gleam in his eyes. 'I've always been tragically misunderstood.'
'I still think you're a scoundrel.'
Hunt grinned and shifted her more comfortably in his arms. 'Obviously illness hasn't impaired your judgement.'"

And another one with our main couple :)
"'I spent most of my youth hauling sides of beef and pork to my father's shop. Carrying you is far more enjoyable.'
'How sweet,' Annabelle mumbled sickly, her eyes closed. 'Every woman dreams of being told that she's preferable to a dead cow.'"

Yet another reason why I adore all of the girls ;)
"'Feels so odd.' she said, her voice slurred. 'No sensation in my mouth. Daisy... don't say that I was drooling while Mr. Hunt was here?'
'Of course not,' Daisy said immediately.' I would have done something about it if you have been. A true friend doesn't let another friend drool when a man is present. Even if it's a man that one doesn't wish to attract.'"

Because I apparently couldn't help myself, another one with Simon and Annabelle ;)
"'Obviously, you want me to kiss you. And I'll be happy to oblige, when the time is right. But not yet.'
'Mr. Hunt, you are the most...'
'Yes, I know,' he said with a grin. 'You may as well spare yourself the effort of hurling adjectives at me, as I've heard them all before.'
'It's not adjectives that I want to hurl at you. A sharp object or two would suffice.'"

But I give you my word, this is the last one about them... ;)
"You couldn't be safer. I'm hardly going to seduce you while you're obviously too weak to defend yourself.'
'That's very gentlemanly of you.'
'I'll seduce you when you're feeling better.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment