Sunday, July 12, 2015

Review: "The hooker and the hermit" by Penny Reid and L. H. Cosway


Authors: Penny Reid and L. H. Cosway 
Standalone, but... more in the review ;)
Main characters: Ronan Fitzpatrick and Annie Catrel

Can I have your attention please... :) I have a very important announcement to make... so here it goes ;) my sister read this book first and after finishing it, she immediately started to tell me... repeatedly... ;) to read it :) and I kept telling her that I will eventually get to it... but she was very insistent that this book is soooo amazing and awesome, that I have to read it NOW!!! :) finally, I gave up, cause when she puts her mind to something, she will get it done ;) so I read it... ;) and you guys... it was soooooo goooood... ;) it instantly became one of my all time favourites :) so I officially admit that she was right and as a result can freely use the words "I told you so" ;) and if they are not enough for her, she can instead change them to what Sheldon Cooper would say, which is "I informed you thusly" ;) so pretty please, learn from my mistakes and drop everything... maybe not everything, if what you're holding is pricey and/or holds sentimental value ;) but otherwise, drop everything and go read it :) you'll thank me later... and I will graciously not use the words "I told you so" ;)

Now that we have this over with, let's talk about the book itself :) don't you just love the title? ;) at first, I was like whaaaa...? But apparently "hooker" is a posision in rugby, which makes now so much more sense and fits this book in the most perfect way ;) you already now how much I loved it, and there are sooo many reasons why... ;) first of all, I think it's because of Annie... I mean, come on... she's a blogger, about different stuff, but still ;) she's socially awkward... and I mean really socially awkward... she blushes and has trouble speaking around people... she's clumsy... but she's also super smart and clever... and she's just amazing with written words... a lot better than actually talking with people face to face :) seriously, it's kind of like looking in the mirror... kind of freaky ;) we even have the same name :) so I'm asking, where is my funny and sexy rugby player?!? ;) <sigh> ;) and speaking of Ronan... with his tattoos... and inappropriate flirting...  and accent... oh my, the accent... ;) you all know how accents are one of my biggest weaknesses... and to top all that, it's not just any accent... oh no... it's an irish accent... <sigh again> ;) not to mention that I'm a total sucker for guys who ends sentences with the word "...... love (or sometimes it's luv)" ;) seriously, don't tell me that it's only me... ;) oh, and I almost forgot, Annie has the most amazing way I ever heard of how to cuss ;) it's in the quotes at the end of this post :) I'm so totally starting to do that ;)

The book is written by two authors, but it's very well put together :) also, there are two perspectives, so we can read both from Annie and Ronan point of view :) I really liked that, because you get a chance to glimpse into their minds, and it was done amazingly :) recently, all of the books with this type of writing (dual points of view) goes to the top of my list, cause I really love it :) plus, the book was super funny... I laughed soooooo much ;) I mean, the e-mails... her posts... the beginnings of each chapters :) this book is full of hilarious little diamonds that will put the biggest smile on your face ;) and not only is it funny, it is also super-sizzling-hotter-than-I-suspected hot ;) there are a few very... ekhm... interesting scenes ;) <wink wink> to Elena, you know what I mean ;) let me just say, that I will never be able to look at seatbelts in a normal way ever again... I mean... daaaamn... sometimes even my iced coffee wasn't cold enough ;)

As to the fact that this book is a standalone... :) I really hope that they decide to write something else together... because there is definitely a lot of potential for next books about some of the characters that we meet in this one :) so maybe we should start a petition... or a campaign of some sort ;) because I really need more ;) and you will too, once you read it :) in the meantime I will definitely try out some books written by L. H. Cosway :) I knew Penny Reid work before, but after loving this one so much, I have to see if L. H. Cosway is able to charm me the same way again ;)

I tried my best to find some funny quotes for you, but there were just sooooo many... ;) so with the help of my sister, here's just a few of them, but believe me when I say that the full book is sooo much better ;)

This is the amazing way in which she cuss ;)
"'Bollocks, bitches and Battlestar Galactica' I mumbled. I have a bad habbit of mumbling curse words when I'm aggravated; honestly, I think I might have a mild case of Tourette's. To soften the string of foul language and make me feel like less of a freak, I try to throw in a pop culture reference at the end. It usually works, but not today."

Part of a conversation in an elevator between Annie and Ronan :)
"'Mr. Fitzpatrick, that button is only supposed to be pushed in case of an emergency.'
'I'm living up to my bad boy reputation then, aren't I?'"

She has a blogger friend, who sometimes sends her silly jokes ;)
"'Hey, why did the hipster leave the ocean?'
'Why?'
'Because it's too current... ba-da-da-dum.'"

And this is what happens when she trips on a walk with Ronan :)
"'Whoa, are you all right?'
I nodded, scowling at my clumsiness. 'Sorry, I'm just obviously... I'm not good at walking... sometimes.'
'Well, you can't be good at everything,' he teased.
I felt my scowl give way and I rolled my eyes. 'Yes, of course it would be too much to expect that I'd be a proficient walker.'
'Luckily for you, I'm quite gifted at walking. Here,' he said, sliding his arm around my shoulders and pressing me close to his side, 'if I hold you like this, then you can share some of my mad walking skills.'"

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment