Monday, March 2, 2015

Review: "Christmas pride" in "The mane event" by Shelly Laurenston

 

Title: "Christmas pride" in "The mane event" 
Part of book 1 in series Pride 
Main characters: Desiree "Dez" MacDermott and Mace Llewellyn

This is one of two stories in the first book in Pride series. It's about 1/2 or 2/3 lenght of a normal book. It's sort of a paranormal urban romance, mainly, because this is our world plus shapeshifters. Dez is human, but Mace is a lion shapeshifter. They were friends in school, but haven't seen each other in years, since Mace went to serve in the Navy. Now she is a detective investigating a murder of one of the guys in his pride. But it's really not the main plot of the story. The "who did it" part of the story takes about 2 chapters and the rest is the romance between the main characters (and by that I mean mostly sex scenes).

Don't get me wrong, there were plenty funny, sarcastic comments in the story. But a lot of parts of the book was... a little over the top for me. I could live with a few details less in certain scenes... and yes, I mean the sex scenes... some of them... again, was a little too much... plus it bothers me that I know so little about the shifters in general, there weren't much world building in this story. Maybe because of the lenght, but either way, after finishing it I was left with only few details. But big plus for the age of the heroine, because a woman over 30 is always a nice change from the standard max. 26 :) And I have to admit that this whole "relationship" between main characters felt a bit rushed. And it's not a problem of the lenght of the story, because I've read stories that were shorter and I didn't have that feeling when I read them.

I think the best way to sum up this story is to compare it to that friend most of us have. That friend who is a little bit too loud and all over the place... when you are in a certain mood, a meeting with that friend is gonna make you smile, you will spend a good time and everyone will be happy at the end. But if you're not in the mood, then it's... well, let's just say it's not what you want... ;) but I will definitely give this series another try, just some other time :) especially cause my sister read like six books in that series in a row, and said that it just gets better and better with each book :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment