Monday, January 12, 2015

Continuity of the story

Wind is howling outside my window, and I'm sitting at my desk, hot tea with honey in my favourite, ridiculously enormous cup is right next to me, and I'm wondering what to write about in my first real blog post... there are a lot of thoughts running inside my mind, because there are so many things that I would like to put into words and share with you... but I've finally decided, that they are all equally important (at least to me ;D), so instead of thinking about in endlessly, I've chosen one at random... and next time I'll choose another one, and so on... :)

So this time I've decided to write about continuity of the story. If you write a series of books, it's very important... :) It doesn't matter if the series is 3 books long, or 10, or 35... you have to know where are you going with all of it... ;) I've read hundreds (if not thousands already ;D) books, and most of them were book series. And sometimes I was really disappointed. Do you know that feeling? Take for example a trilogy. When you read the first book in the series... and it's new, and exciting... and the whole premise and idea is so fresh... and before you know it, you are up till 2 in the morning, because you can't put it down, cause you absolutely have to know how it ends... :) because I know that feeling very well ;) And then comes the second book, and it's still pretty good... you think, that maybe it's not as exciting as the first one, because gone is the surprise of reading about a whole new world... and maybe it's just that... and you still finish it, because you're curious about what's gonna happen to characters that you already love... and you still have faith in the author, that he/she knows what he/she is doing... but unfortunately, then comes the last book... and you start to read... and with every passing page you start to worry a little bit more... where is this going...? Surely there's gonna be an explanation.... But then, as you turn over the last page, you are left with one, huge... "Huh?!? That's it?!?"Because in some cases, it looks like the author had this amazing idea... for a world, for a character... but the idea was just that... an idea... an amazing idea that lasted just for a book... an amazing idea with no ending... and when that happens I feel like I was robbed of my time... that's why sometimes I'm waiting for all the books in a series (I'm talking mostly about trilogies) to be published, and see what are the opinions of fellow readers are gonna be... Because I'm afraid of another disappointment...

But now to much more positive perspective... :) There are authors, that are amazing in how they create a world and characters in it. In this post I'm gonna give you one, fantastic example... Nalini Singh :) I encourage you to visit her official website, if you don't know her already :) In my opinion she is the best example on how to write series of books... Let's talk about her Psy/changeling series. It's now 13 books long (with a 14 coming in june) + short stories. The upcoming one ends a large story arch that was present in every one of the books. And even though each book concentrates on another couple, all of them goes beautifully with each other... You can easily see, that she knew from the beginning how the whole arch is gonna end... maybe not every little detail, because characters have a tendency do to as they please, and author has to just adapt to them ;) but you can see it very clearly... every character is in those books for a reason... every action has consequences, even if you don't see them at first... the whole masterpiece is best seen if you are re-reading them... because then you see this hidden (or sometimes not so hidden ;D) gems... and you are like "Oh, now I get it... now I see..." Everything that happens in those books, makes sense... and as a reader, I appreciate it very much... because disappointment is something that I never feel, when reading one of her books... maybe a little, when it ends... because it's always too short and I always want more ;)

Today I didn't write a lot more about Nalini Singh, because I wanted to share with you just my opinion about creating a story... but I will definitely mention her and her books a lot more often, and in a lot more details :)

XOXO

A

No comments:

Post a Comment